Small trimarans under 20'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

Newick abandoned that approach. AFAIK they just couldn't get it to work reliably, word was (at the time) that it turned out to be more complicated than it looked. - don't know if it was a hardware/mechanical issue or a "design" issue.

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Canting the rig to windward with the pivot point at the mast step has the added benefit of adding to righting moment. Canting the rig to windward by moving the mast base to leeward reduces RM.

3. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

Pretty sure that's me on the bow of Ocean Surfer about half my life ago.

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

In my eyes Ocean Surfer was one of Newick's more attractive designs.

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

+1. Anyone know if there were any others built to his design? I seem to recall the original for sale a few years ago with a bit of a cabin addition.

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

From what I read on Newick's Ocean Surfer is that, and it's easy to believe, it was extremely difficult to shift the mast base across on the mast track when the rig was compressed under sailing loads ... and the only way it could be budged was to stop the boat, ease sheets, before the crew was able to get any movement across the platform.
    Much easier to have simple adjusting tackle on the shrouds and fixed mast base: ease the leeward stay, ease mainsheet, tighten windward shroud, cleat off.

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Even foiling Moths have canting rigs

RW

8. Richard Woods

9. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Richard,

I am very interested. But I don't understand what I can almost see in the "provisional" study plans.

Is 1/2 of the main hull between the crossarms decked? It looks like I can see the bottom of the main hull down to the keel, but forward of that it looks like a deck with the centerboard sticking thru.

Also the folding on the crossarms, does it fold upward like the 18? Are the crossarms wooden or what?

I also have a classic Tornado rig from a donor (or a Hobie 16) to use on the boat.

Last question. Do the shrouds got to the amas? or to the pivoting point at the side of the main hull?

10. Richard Woods

as I said on my Strike 20 page, think of it like a big Strike 15, so you can see the basic cockpit layout on this photos on this page

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/27-trimarans-under-25/223-strike-15-trimaran

However the Strike 20 is built like the Strike 18, the outriggers go up for transport, again like the 18, and the shrouds go to the outriggers not to the main hull

A Hobie 16 rig would be very small on a Strike 20

I hope that helps you work out what the boat is like

Richard Woods

11. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Nice little boats, but I can't help think that they could use a lot more ama buoyancy.

12. Richard Woods

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Richard,

I think you answered this once, but what % of the loaded boat weight is the outrigger buoyancy?

Is the outrigger intended to be driven under the water as a safety indication before the main hull is flown?

14. Richard Woods

Well obviously it depends on the beach cat used for the outriggers. The first boat is using Nacra 5.8 hulls, which have a hull beam of 345mm and a depth of 580mm according to the builder. So that is about 0.75cum giving maybe 125% buoyant outriggers. Displ of the main hull is 0.58cum. A Tornado has bigger hulls but with either boat you're going to have a lot of bury before flying the main hull.

Hope that helps

Richard Woods

15. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

I was looking at the side diagram of the Strike 15. The amas look so much smaller than the main hull, so it won't be able to fly the main hull effectively.

From experience, these on my trimaran are WAY too small. If you aren't careful, or position weight wrong, it's very easy to completely bury the float, and hold it there. According to the design, the ama should displace around 120 lbs. I weigh 140 and the boat weighs about 100, so it's about 50% of displacement(240 lbs).
    [​IMG]

I'll be making new amas that have around 600 lbs of bouyancy, so 200+ percent of displacement, along with slanted daggerboards to provide some lift too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.