Small tri ( 17 ~ 23 f )

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by murban, Jun 10, 2010.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes Ray.
    We have already been there. :cool:
    IMHO a Piver Nugget is a better option as it can be configured with a Norm Cross LAR fin keel and will sleep four in a double formed by the fold down cabin settee and two full size singles in the ends.

I had one and cruised every summer weekend, and for two weeks every summer vacation --for four years, with my wife and two teenage sons.
    I look back on that time--and that boat, with great affection. :)

My only criticism of it was the deep V floats caused it to rock violently in the wake of passing power boats.

2. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

I like the design of the sardine run best too, thats very cool. you could add a 100mm step in each side 200mm above the waterline to give it a lot more volume in the cabin.

3. jamez

jamez Senior Member

4. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hey Murban,

Have you decided what to build yet?

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Murban,

No one seems to mention Dick Newicks Tremolino. It can be home built at 23 feet, can use a beach cats rig and hulls, or can use homebuilt outer hulls (Mark4 plans, the latest). This boat is a minimalist boat like the Sardine Run, but has a significant history from a well know designer. Visit tremolinotri.com. It doesn't fold. Folding will add a lot of weight and cost unless you do it like the CC23 Cyclone or Whites Discovery. Not as convienent as a Farrier System. Good luck.

Marc

6. Barry Sanders

Barry Sanders New Member

" HOPIE 20 " Schooner rigged 20 ft Trimaran .

After a 12 year build my Trimaran is finally sailing . I call her " junkyard Blitz " as she is built of entirely second hand components . The Vaka is a 20 ft Australian " Lightweight " sharpie and the amas are stock Hobie 17 hulls complete with trapezing wings . She carries two 31ft masts ( H 17 ) up front and ( H18 ) at the rear with a H17 main and a H18 jib on the foremast and a H18 main and H18 staysail ( rear Jib ) on the aft mast . This gives me over 400 sq ft of windward sail area . As she is 20 ft wide between the outside of the wing frames and carries two on trapeze with the forward hand swinging from a wire coming from each mast ( to stop him swinging back into the skipper )who is swinging from a single wire from the aft mast . I have sailed her only three times so far and have found her good mannered with a slight ( healthy ) amount of weather helm and have the Vaka in full plane ( she is about 4ft on the waterline amidships ) and sails with the leeward ama around 60% immersed and this is adjustable with the helm . I will send in some pictures as they come to hand .

7. bill broome

bill broome Senior Member

sardine run is handsome boat, but i wonder how comfortable a day on the tramp will be, and not a good base when muscle required, either.

i would budget for a hard seat on a simple transverse frame, but then it won't be pretty anymore.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

LOL. As is should be called "Sardine Tin". :eek:

9. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Barry - photos of the Sharpie/Hobie tri please!!! C'mon - grab ya camera mate! :)

10. gagepants

gagepants Junior Member

Don't forget about the Kurt Hughes 23' trailerable tri. http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/23tri.html
    This one was on my short list. After looking and reading and thinking about his cylinder mold method it started to make a lot of sense as a fast way to build a really high performance hull. It's demountable rather than folding so in the end it wasn't for me, but it may be right up your alley. I decided to save some money and build a Marples Seaclipper 24- starting next week!

11. Barry Sanders

Barry Sanders New Member

A few shots of my trimaran schooner " Junkyard Blitz " on her first outing !

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.