Sailrocket 2 set to launch

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by P Flados, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

The latest analysis points to their main foil ventilating at top leading to overload at the bottom.

It is a shame that they are sitting around without enough wind to try stuff. Hopefully the wait will be over soon and what ever solution they try will make headway.

Go SR2 Go!

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Not too shabby - 46k in a 22k wind! That was a monster container vessel at the beginning of the video.

6. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

I had missed this post when it was made

There really is a lot of good back & forth between Paul & various SA members at the above.

Most of the SA posts are from guys that do not seem to be up to speed on the VSR effort, but some of the post were more on target.

I will now be following all three known locations of VSR info (here, Paul's blog, & the SA thread).

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. auscat

auscat Junior Member

Just posted on face book he hit 63 knts with a 54 knt average.He's done it.Might not hear much from him for the next few hours as the rum suply in Walvis bay is demolished.Well done Larso.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sailrocket!

Fantastic-here's Pauls report: http://sailrocket.com/node/615 He says peak 61+, average 54 knots! That ties or exceeds Hydropteres peak of 61knots. Hydropteres average was 51.17 knots over a nautical mile, but that won't last with SailRocket being dialed in! Go Sailrocket!

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Have they got enough space at Walvis Bay for SR2 to achieve her full potential?

11. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

They went at this with a thinking, pushing, thinking, pushing, over and over again approach. They had the right approach and determination ito build the tool they now have.

SR2 is a true single purpose outright speed machine that has what it takes to make the next leap in performance.

Walvis bay will do fine for the 500 meters, they can just make 1 nautical mile runs, but I do not think they can really expect to be a top performance for the full mile at this location.

As long as the wind holds and the equipment does not break, they will walk away with the a convincing increase in the World record.

Go SR2 Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

SailRocket

From front page SA: (UPDATE-this was all from yesterday the 12th-next chance probably Friday)

The course was rough at the top so I cruised into the flatter water with the wing well eased. Once I was happy that the runway was smooth ahead I sheeted her in and away she went. I knew it was quick and said so over the comms. I could see a gust ahead and held on until we hit it. VSR2 just went into fast forward mode and accelerated hard again. I knew it was quick... real quick. I also knew it was low tide and the shallows at the end of the course were now approaching at a new and exciting rate. I held the gust for a few long seconds then sense prevailed. The boat was accelerating hard right up to when I bailed out of the run. Stopping from over 60 knots was going to be a whole new experience. Obviously we were chewing up runway fast. She actually stopped in a pretty civilised manner and I managed to avid grounding. I was buzzing. I knew it was 60 plus.

So the average was down but the 5 second average perhaps gives a better indication. I reckon she will hit over 65 knots in her current configuration if we get the right conditions. Yesterday was fine. One more like that please Walvis. It was a brilliant day for all the team. A huge relief to see the numbers become reality. The boat is a weapon. Life begins at 60 for this one. Yes I have a hangover... and yes it feels bloody great! Jump in the thread.

Peak speed... 61.92 knots
    500 m avg... 54.08 knots
    1 second avg... 61.58 knots
    5 second average... 59.08 knots
    11/13/12
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokkkqBcyPQ&feature=share&list=UUcoYIGpTo2WCjyPkG0WvO2w

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Victory!!!

From Paul's blog:

There it is 59.23 knot average fresh off the TRIMBLE. 62.53 peak.

Records subject to WSSRC ratification.

I'm signing out.

I have too many people to thank I don't know where to start.

I have to call mum and dad.

The happiest days!

Still more to come.

Paul.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

SailRocket

Fantastic! http://sailrocket.com/node/631
    ---
    Next time you're on the highway: average=68.1mph, peak=71.9mph
    ===========
    This is going to sound ridiculous but it just dawned on me that not only is Sailrocket the fastest sailboat in the history of mankind-it is also the fastest foiler in history! Man, 2012 is a good year for foiling!