Sailing catamaran parameters

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by terhohalme, Apr 10, 2008.

1. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Hi all catamaran designers,

I added a spreadsheet of catamaran parameters. It is a collection of simple equations from physics, design books and ISO standards to "solve" a sailing catamaran. Just input some dimensions and ratios and you have all other main dimensions on one simple sheet. There are two other sheets in workbook to estimate Texel and Multi2000 ratings.

Yes, I know there is no formula for a perfect sailig catamaran, but this leads you closer at the first shot. I tested it with many catamarans from Heavenly Twins and Wharrams to modern cruisers and to Med Club and Playstation and found decent results.

Try, test and enjoy. Comments are wellcome (just study first...)

Terho

Attached Files:

2. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Hello Terhohalme,

an impressive piece of work!

I seem to have a problem changing the figures? Only the yellow fields are variable it seems. Am I doing something wrong?

Some explanations, or even better, a sketch showing where to take the measurements would be very helpfu, as some of the designations are not clear for me, not being a proffesional designer.

Regards

Alan

3. terhohalme

Yes, you are right, only change the yellow fields, they are input. Others are calculated values. If you like to see the equations, turn off the sheet protection. The protection is on to prevent the user to distroy the sheet accidentally.

There are some hints in shells with a red corner. Use google or books to find the terms (something to do yourself, too).

2 people like this.
  4. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks terhohalme, downloaded for future reference

5. terhohalme

1 person likes this.
  6. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Hi Terho,

I tried inputting my design data, this is for a bi-rig cat, there seems to be some issues. Will you have a look please, and tell me what I did wrong??

Thanks

Alan

Attached Files:

7. terhohalme

Input Bas again, it was text, not a number.

8. terhohalme

For bi-rig, double your J and E, not the height. If you have no jib, input foretriangle ratio to 0 %.
    Did you noticed that Length/beam ratio is (lenght of hull)/(beam between center lines)?

9. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Thanks.

Can't input J and E,so I played around with the Rigging size ratio and boom length to include wing mast areas, and get the right total square meters in sail area.

I must say I'm impressed! Alot of the numbers add up quite well, compared to the actual figures we are using.

I have used the formulæ that Multihull Dynamics use to give an idea of performance relative to other designs. They calculate "performance index" and some other figures. These show a performance index of a bit more than 1,0. Your predictor is a bit lower at around but as you say, it is not the best possible speed you use. It shows 8,9 knots average in 10 knots wind.

Are your daggerboard sizes for one or 2 boards? They seem big for only one.

I think this is a nice tool, to get you started when designing a cat, you dial in some numbers and get an idea of where you will be.

Thanks alot Terho.

Regards

Alan

10. terhohalme

The daggerboard area is assumed to 1.5% of nominal sail area. Perhaps 1.0 % was enough? It is corrected though by term (10/LWL)^0.5 to decrease proportional area at faster (longer) boats. Mayby this is not necessary. Any thoughts?

11. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

I just redid my area calculations, yoor sheet suggests 4,4 m2 daggerboard area, and mine are 3,8 m2. My chord is 0,9 and you suggest 1,18m.
    My sailarea is quite high at 160m2 with no jib, so that may be the reason.

I have a big deviation in rudder area because i have input the rig ratio very high to get the correct sail area. When I input actual rig height, I get comparable figures to yours.

I have seen suggestions that rudder and daggerboard area should be around 2,5% of wetted area seen in profile. How did you get to your parameters?

Regards

Alan

12. terhohalme

If you take off the sheet protection, you can see the formula in shell.

13. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

Parameters for single hulled vessel

Hi,

Could the parameters be adapted for a single hull vessel? I am currently studying a fishing boat hull (about LOA: 6-7m) and how its characteristics be altered for improved seakeeping.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Steve

14. terhohalme

Sorry, these are only for catamarans.

15. mihari

mihari Junior Member

terhohalme,
    Thank you for a tool of great help. It is the best of its kind (and the only one :))

As I am the total noob at designing boats, and probably one of the most ignorant in this forum, I have a few questions. I hope you or anybody else who understands and/or is wise will have the time and patience and willingness to answer. The questions are about your fine cat starter.

HULLS

transverse stability: what is a good value for BMtrans?

longitudinal stability: what is a good value for BMlong?

EU design category and EU size factor: what are these used for?

RIGGING

height of lateral area: what is it? I saw in your "manual" that it is below waterline, but to where?

height of foretriangle - the height of center of effort from waterline? Is it for fractional rigging?

height of mainsail - the height of center of effort from waterline?

design righting moment - how does this help me?

limiting righting moment - how does this help me?

APPENDAGES
    (elliptic side profile) - are numbers different if the "plan" (profile) is rectangular?

sail area / displacement - how does this help me?

thanx in advance

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.