Rumble in Toronto: Nacra 20 vs Canaan

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

From SA here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=136006 This weekend a Nacra 20 will race against the C Class Little Americas Cup winner. Would sure be interesting to watch. I think the 20 needs wind.......and a long downwind leg.

Updates to Tale of the Tape for Canaan:
    Length = 25 feet
    Beam 14'
    Weight = approx 345 Lbs, everything included
    Mast Height = 43'
    Curved Daggerboards - no (technically a minor curve)
    Cost = about $450k on the start line

We're looking forward to a fun event.
    Fredo
    ==================
    Nacra F20 C
    LOA 20'
    Beam 10.5'
    mast 34'
    weight 360lb
    Upwind SA-300sq.ft.
    Downwind SA- 600sq.ft.
    uses curved daggerboard
    cost $32,000

Attached Files:

2. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Strange event.

Doug - thanks for posting. Wonder what the wind & waves will be like ??? Still think - it's a strange - match-up - ??? - I would guess they may be trying to raise interest or - a fun event for charity - or maybe the Canucks are just glad to be on the lake when there isn't 4' of ice out there ??? I'm sure we all wish them - great sailing - whatever they are doing cause a boad day on the water beats a good day on dry land. Ciao, & good sailing, james

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I think the boys just like sailing their 'C'. The last time they raced the C was unbeatable upwind but suffered downwind due to their relatively limited sail area while the other racing cats were able to set spinnakers. It was still pretty close though if I recall correctly? Doug might recall or have a link to the past thread?

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

20vsC

============
    Sorry, Corley, my memory of that has evaporated-assuming it was ever there? When did they do this last?

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've done a search on SA and cant seem to find the post. It was one of the current C's maybe Fredo's boat. The gist of it was they excelled upwind but suffered a bit downwind in comparison to the spinnaker equipped boats (as you would expect). There were some posts that noted that the wind was fluky at times and that may have had an impact.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rumble

I'd like to see it windy-that way the curved foils will be at their most beneficial so they'd have a great chance downwind and maybe upwind be a little closer. I wish I could be there!

7. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Invinctus raced against the n20c and f18s at the weston cat open in the UK
    Held its own upwind but got caught by the 20 and the 18s downwind

The folded up the wing on the long distance race and that is the last we have seen from them, hope that they are getting up and running for the next i4c

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rumble

Very light air(4kts) heavily favoring Canaan. Delta at finish: Canaan by 8:50.
    Looks like F20c took back 1:40 on final downwind leg.(from "Fredo")

More from Fredo(owner of Canaan) :

Final score: Canaan 4, F20C 0
    Canaan wins all races comfortably, as in by most of a leg. Last race Canaan wins by a leg.
    Conditions light all day.
    We will concede that the F20c was faster downwind today, gaining 1:30 to 2:00 per leg, although Canaan did manage to win some downwinds.

Thanks for the challenge!

Fredo

=====
    From catsailordude on SA:

Race 1: C = 51:00, F20c = 1:00:53 5 knots
    Race 2: C = 49:02, F20c = 51:22 4-5 knots
    Race 3: C = 39:55, F20c = 43:22 5-7 knots
    Race 4: C = 18:41, F20c = 23:00 6-8 knots

Wind speeds are my best guess.

9. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday to everyone that's involved in that SUPA 'sailing' weekend WOW - Wish I'd been there.

I do have a question - - if the 'C' class - reaches off @ 60 degrees when turning - the top mark (the first windward to the bottom rounding mark - why is it slower than the Nacra.

Can anyone let me know if ther's a power/weight/length formula - that might get all the facts on one sheet of paper so we can all do some analysis ???

Oh - don't know very much - but have sailed a few 'wings' from time to time.

Thanks guys - great 'thread' - Fab pics - very informative & honest. Ciao, james

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.