Route des Princes 2013

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Have you sailed with AIS on a dark night through an area with lots of ship traffic? I hadn't done so until about 4 years ago. AIS is marvelous, and of course it shows where the other boats are headed, and which tracks may 'collide' with yours, giving you better time to look for any other boats which probably aren't equipped with AIS.

When Oman and Prince de Bretagne (and likely several other wild vegetarian multihull fanatics) get around Cape St Vincent, you can see from the AIS map that they are going to sneak up in the dark behind the venerable Blue Leopard... a 112 ft ketch (1963) now motoring northwards at 9 knots, and who are most probably unaware of these approaching multihull demons; as they have their noses stuck in brandy glasses while they fondly are reminiscing about some preposterous 'race' in Antigua last season, where they qualified for some kind of geriatric consolation award.

lol

[​IMG]

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I agree the AIS is fantastic what I found interesting was when on passage we never had to radio any ships when we looked to be even vaguely on a collision course they would alter their heading by 5 degrees and give us plenty of clearance. It's surprising how many ships and fishing boats are out there particularly in coastal areas.

The other thing that struck me was with night sailing is you cant see a thing you really just have to hope there is nothing floating that you could run into. On a night with moonlight It's possible that you might sight a large object in time to make a course correction but otherwise you would simply hit it.

3. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Race direction has changed the original finish line in Lisbon to avoid the end of the leg becoming a 'lottery' of light winds and strong current, and they intend to update the tracking every 5 minutes when the boats are within 40 miles of the line.

ETA looks like maybe 1430-ish?

At the moment the tracking is not loading and the latest english translation of the race info has a bad link. But Oman, PdB, Actual and others are still on AIS. Actual and Lalou still glued together in the same manner as Spindrift and PdB.

This looks to have been a very good leg. The next one will be a lot less comfortable?

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

From the Route des Princes Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/routedesprincesuk?hc_location=stream

The Oman flagged MOD70 trimaran Oman Air-Musandam skippered by Sidney Gavignet (FRA) crossed the finish line to win the first leg of the inaugural Route des Princes at 12h41'38'' local time (11h41'38'' TU/GMT).
    Oman Air-Musandam took 2d 23h 41mn 38secs for the 794 miles first leg which started from Valencia, Spain last Sunday afternoon.
    With most of the course being upwind the winners sailed at an average of 11.08kts for the theoretical course but actually sailed 1024 miles on the water, so making a real average of 14.28kts.
    Since the six man international crew established a small lead at the only turning mark of the course off Benicarlo, just to the north of Valencia, just before 8pm on Sunday evening, Oman Air-Musandam have been the most regular leaders of the race.
    Over yesterday evening and this morning Gavignet’s crew had seen their steady margin of 20 miles shrink until their nearest rivals, Spindrift (Yann Guichard), passed them temporarily this morning. But Oman Air-Musandam found a new, favourable breeze to the west and were able to extend away from Spindrift, the team which won the MOD70’ class 2012 championship last year.
    Oman Air-Musandam collect the maximum possible points for the stage, 40 pts for winning the leg as well as all the available bonus points, 2pts for leading at Benicarlo and 2pts for leading out of the Mediterranean at Gibraltar yesterday morning.
    The Route des Princes course takes the fleet of grand prix multihulls from Valencia to Morlaix in France stopping in Lisbon, Dun Laoghaire-Dublin and Plymouth, finishing on 30th June in France.

In the Multi50 class Team Lalou, Arkema came in first closely followed by Actual with FenetreA Cardinal coming in third. Arkema and Actual had a close battle throughout the whole leg.

5. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Et bien! Now I've glanced through the photos and race replays of the first day of harbor racing in Lisbon...

It should be remarked upon that the 2D and 3D race replays are of marginal interest; particularly the 3D which looks especially idiotic, making an incredibly boring presentation out of what was no doubt a better spectacle live. They should scrap it post haste.

The (overexposed) photos from the harbor racing are not good enough either, they should bring in a guy like Liot or any number of other experienced photogs who can do it right. I guess there's video which will appear shortly, but it would have been better to have quick video summaries of the races from the mark roundings, than to rely on those cruddy 2D and 3D replays.

Perhaps a video camera at the starting line would have encouraged a few of the boats to get across the line in respectable time, as well. lol

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I agree and I can't see why it's too difficult to have some proper video coverage of the whole race even if they just did them from media boats at the marks and start/finish.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10wmax_clip-lisbonne-inshore_sport#.Ubu4WhVAp8R

The Virbac Paprec team are getting up to speed on the MOD70's in the inshore racing.

http://www.jpdick.com/fr/actualites/un-spectacle-incroyable-au-coeur-de-lisbonne.html

An amazing spectacle in the heart of Lisbon it is in a sumptuous setting facing the heart of the town on the Tagus River, that the first inshore regattas held in Lisbon this afternoon. The day smiled at the VIRBAC-PAPREC 70 crew that won first place at the last round in the Portuguese capital. Multihulls have offered a superb performance in competing on a course type 'banana' in a 13-to 15-knot wind. They have done three rounds on the river front of the Place du Commerce.

Thierry Douillard (trimmer) "today, we went crescendo. On the first round we started well and finished last. From the next round, our level of play has been increased to make a very nice second place and especially a very straightforward victory on the last. We took good starts and is well operated. In short, we had a super day. «"For my part, I'm busy to set the sails of before.» It is all a work coordination with the coxswain. There are a lot of manoeuvres to be carried out on a water body also restricted so we're happy to have the winchers. It is a true team effort. We therefore draw a very positive assessment of the day. It's good to succeed to escape against opponents who have two years of experience. "" Lisbon c'est magnifique, it's nice, there's wind, we have an incredible opportunity to be here! ».

And the English press release from Spindrift Racing:

http://www.spindrift-racing.com/2013/06/first-day-of-in-shores-races-in-lisbon/

7. pipeline

pipeline Junior Member

Thanks for posting folks...

Nice to get some views and news. My man Lalou won. Happy to see that he had a good race. I want to see the Multi 50 class grow. I'm going to save some money, and buy my way onto one of those boats someday soon for an afternoon practice. Aloha from Hawaii...

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

11. oceancruiser

They are in now and the wind is rising and angling for a reach to Dublin. They will not need a gennaker. They are in the best fast reaching position to dublin

They started approx 36 hrs behide the 50s and approx 6 hrs behide the 70's

Sure they have been pushing it thats how they have caught the fleet.

OC

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

As Blackburn noted the tracker is way out. Groupe Edmonde de Rothschild MOD70 is north of Wexford now according to AIS and they are at the back of the pack accoding to the news reports. Most of the multis don't have their AIS transponders turned on at the moment.

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Spidrift Racing is just in the lead approaching Dun Laoghaire with Edmond de Rothschild hot on their heels Oman Air is a little further back Virbac Paprec don't have their AIS on at the moment.

Attached Files:

14. oceancruiser

AIS seems to be incorrect as well

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

tracker has Prince de Bretagne maxi third and clossing fast.

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.