Ron White trimaran for the Everglades Challenge

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Mar 1, 2013.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I looked for the Mosquito from last year's race but did not see it and believe it is not in this year's challenge. Sandy Bottom is his(Steve?) mom, I believe, and she is competing. So is Dance's with Sandy Bottom. You can follow their progress.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====
    What boat are they sailing-any idea?

3. hoytedow

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I can't find any info on Randy Smyth past the second checkpoint-something go wrong, do you know?

5. hoytedow

Maybe Cape Haze Marina was as far as he wanted to go. The cold probably sapped a lot of strength. Many seem to have stopped there rather than go all the way.

6. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

On the Watertribe site in the general postings there is a message saying he had damage/failure of one of the pivoting ama/aka joints. There was a post that he capsized offshore and self recovered after leaving Checkpoint One. Once he got the boat back up (with the now "bum" joint), he proceeded directly to the beach near Fort Myers and has been on shore since.

--
    CutOnce

hoytedow likes this.
  7. hoytedow

That's too bad since as of Saturday night when I had last checked his position he was the furthest south of any of the competitors.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

I just finished reading the thread over at SA.

Strangely enough, it was all about sailing, getting in updates and pictures, cheering on the hard work / skill of sailors, no BS, no foul language and generally a really good read.

Kind of neat that a pair of "old fashioned" two masted, nonfoiling, monohulls finished 1, 2 overall.

The first place boat lost their main mast near the finish. Who would have thought that "able to limp in on a mizzen mast" would be a key ingredient into a first place EC finish and a new (by a large margin) mono record.

10. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

There is a lot to learn there. Quoting someone on the EC site: "To finish first, first you have to finish". I'm sure this gem goes back so far that finding the first time it was said won't be easy.

There is no doubt that when all the stars line up, all the God's forgo mischief, and the right person(s) is/are on the tiller that leading edge solutions can be stunning. The problem with technology-based solutions is that when you depend on one component of a design for a high percentage of your performance, your vulnerability to failure is high.

Challenge style endurance events like the Everglades Challenge are more about mitigating risk and having a layered approach to problem avoidance. Graham Byrnes obviously really thought through the design of the Core Sound series. Given the maturity of the Core Sound design-wise this year's performance is probably stronger confirmation of the real magic in his work than the first win was. I sure hope he and Carla popped the top off a bottle of bubbly because Seabiscuit just won again.

--
    CutOnce

11. hoytedow

12. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Are there any pics of the core sound boat with laminate sails?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. hoytedow

I did not manage to get 1 photo of what I believe to be the winning boat. :eek:

15. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Thank you Hoyte for your fine photos. Found an interesting small trimaran:

[​IMG]

Do you know more about it ??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.