Restoring Crowther Buccaneer 33 - Rigging Advice

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SteveMc, Feb 15, 2009.

1. phillip_h

phillip_h New Member

SteveMc, the paint job looks great, congratulations. I bought a Buccaneer 33 out of San Pedro, California at the end of June, and sailed it north to San Francisco. Actually, it is a 33 that was lengthened two feet forward of the mast, so it's 35 feet long.
    It seems that each of us is trying to gather information on how to sail these boats to the best of their (and our) ability. I hope we can learn something from one another.
    One mystery that I have about this design, is why so much weight was placed in the aft end - especially for those with an inboard engine? The crew is the cockpit, the engine underneath or hanging off the back (I have a Tohatsu 9.9) - it just seems like Crowther was asking for the aft to drag deep in the water. To me, that tapered end just wants to be broadened - but I'm no naval architect.
    To ZigZag - if you still need plans, I have all the originals for this boat - and a lengthy material list.

-phillip

2. SteveMc

SteveMc Junior Member

Hi Phillip, very happy to receive your note. I am only a few days work from getting her back in the water. I have yet to see her sail so our ability to observe and share data will help the tuning process.

As to riding heavy at the rear, I imagine the fear of pitch-pole capsize at speed as one reason for more weight astern (indeed your longer bow may be evidence of such fear?), although by my reckoning, mine will not be too-exaggerated toward the rear. I've decided to load the 2 batteries amidship, about center.

Can you post some shots of your extended bow? I'd like to hear more about the handling as a result. Little hobby-horsing action for example? Better steerage away from the wind?

Keep it coming.
    Steve

3. phillip_h

phillip_h New Member

The two feet were added because, at the time, southern California multihulls wanting to race offshore needed to be a minimum of 35 feet.

I haven't sailed a Bucc 33, so I can't compare the two, but there sure is a lot of hobby horsing in light chop. However, when I was sailing Jabberwock up the coast 400 miles, I could see the advantage of those big rocker bows as we rode through consistent 6-7 waves and stayed very dry in the cockpit - and not too much pounding (ok, those wings on the main hull help as well).

I'll get some photos together tomorrow.

-Phillip

4. phillip_h

phillip_h New Member

Photos Link

Okay, so a bit late. There are many photos that I wanted to post, so I just made a folder on my Picasa account. Notice that I also ask if there is a better way to fasten the nets.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aphilliphadley/Jabberwock?feat=directlink

If this gives you trouble, just search Jabberwock or aphilliphadley on Picasa.

-phillip

5. trevey

trevey New Member

All buc33 owners/builders: I need to find, buy, borrow, trade, rent or lift a set of plans for my unfinished buc33. I have sponsons, bulkheads completed.
    Also posess mast, crossarms,winches, rigging, sails, cleats and anchors, apile of 5-ply marine 4x8, and considerable 30ft spruce material. Lookinf for plans and epoxy...or a buyer. LOst my plans in a minor catastophe. Trevey at
    emtechone@yahoo.com Help

6. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

Crowther buc 33

Hi Phillip, Sorry for the delayed response, as I had to focus on new job opportunities. You are a lucky trimaran owner as I thought the San Pedro Buc was a great deal as she looks in excellent condition. Appreciated on the plans offer, please contact me at protocomposite@yahoo.com

7. thorpe12

thorpe12 New Member

Hi SteveMc.I useto sail on Minotaur up here in Townsville and once raced against Stormtrooper .Goodluck with the boat.

8. phillip_h

phillip_h New Member

9. SteveMc

SteveMc Junior Member

U-Tube

Yes that was her a year ago (Sept 2009) we took her out in light winds for a quick run around to stretch her old sails. After that it had lots of kid-safe rails attached front and rear, and a canopy for shade across the rear, and a new genoa.

Since then (my camera broke) there's been plenty of drama, a broken rudder saw me towed home and out of action for 2 months until I made a new one from marine ply and glass over. Then a sidestay due for replacement gave up and the old mast fell overboard in two pieces, but we motored home. Now the new mast is 450mm taller, and I have a new motor (Betamarine 20hp at only 106kgs) arriving today to replace the BMW D12 that has fired its last shot.

But we've had some fun days sailing and camping on the bay (see photos). I am pleased to report that a year on, she has maintained much of her just renovated feel.

With so many cruising modifications main hull widened for walking space around cabin top, box beams to floats instead of mast section, rear built up with rear bench seating under a canopy, a wheel helm added and with old sails (which required the mast to be raked fwd a little to solve some mighty weather helm), and 30ltrs of diesel under the cockpit, her top speed was about 8.5 knots, at which point she seemed to lift a little. With new(er) sails and some weight thrown overboard, I would be happy with her reaching 10kts on a good day.

With the new motor attached to the shaft, I will try to get her through the Summer before taking her out of the water for an inspection, a new shaft and folding propellar, re-routing of centerboard control lines/blocks.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.