Reinventing the Wheel for Recycling

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ProtectTheOcean, May 17, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

LMAO
    now that was great ;-)

2. Thames

Thames Junior Member

update

I got a couple more emails from Armacell regarding their recycled PET foam core:

"Armacells GR core grade based on recycled PET is quite new as you know. Therefore we have been a bit conservative in the datasheet values in the beginning. I anticipate that strength and stiffness values will be very similar to the standard AC [virgin] grade in reality.

"Where we do see a setback of properties is in the ductility of the material so there will be lower shear strain values for GR grade but still at an acceptable level for marine applications.

[re my small 12' boat design with 5cm core:]

For a sandwich of this thickness it will be so stiff that the ductility of the core will be of secondary consideration. I would say that for a smaller boat you can use GR 80 without any problems throughout."

And in response to a further inquiry about adhesion strength:

"I have attached a pdf on peel strength properties, how we test etc.I general you will not find any problems getting a good adhesion with epoxy on PET core. Compared to PVC cores we are normally a little below for epoxy resins but well above for PE and VE resins. The reason is that we get a very good (primary or chemical binding) adhesion with styrenated resins.

"The easiest way to test and make sure is to do an A4 size sample with whatever skins and resin you want to use. Manufacture the test piece under conditions as close as possible to what you expect, let it cure properly and then rip off the skin. As long as you get parts of the core sticking to the laminate you are ok. What you don't want to see is a shiny surface on the laminate."

Here’s a link to the pdf on peel strength properties:

http://www.piano-tuning.co.uk/wp-co...ld_blog/Tech_Info_6 Peel_Test_ArmaFORM_AC.pdf

3. Thames

Thames Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.