question about the drain

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by tz3dcom, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Frosty, my friend, read and study a little more (regulations, international conventions, ...), or you'll have to be more humble. When I talk about noise pollution, I am referring to the boats that can produce due to their engines and some other cause.
    When someone does not know about a subject, he can attack it simulating "jokes" that sometimes are not funny at all.
    Anyone can say what he wants, but when it comes to a serious issue (and pollution is), we can afford mistakes, but not messing around. It is my opinion
    B.R.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I said it was charming.
    I remember Wellydeckhand talking about making a marina and shrimp farm in Thailand. Of course it all entailed wiping out acres of mangroves but there was no harm in that as it's what everybody was doing so it was OK. The same with logging off the interior to make more and more marginal farms.
    How come there are no fish 'outside'?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No I will not my little Spanish friend I want nothing to do with your European regulations and to which I have removed my sorry arse from Europe because of people like you..

I suggest you put down your clip board and do the same before you get worse.

Im feeling a little nauseous.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Honey, I love you too.

5. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

I understand the regulation of grey water should be go into the tank. but I do not like to have the drain-pipe through the head floor as it looks not so nice. I want to make the interior as simple as possible . I think more simple is more modern as well as more light for the material, even to get more large interior space. you can find out attached the port head without the drain-pipe through the floor . I think it looks comfortable .

I guess all the boat owner prefer to pour the grey water overboard direct rather into the tank if there no any MARPOL about the grey water regulation .because Once the pump does not work , the grey water will be overflow out of the tank.

As you did a number of cat project, Did you find out some regulation about the grey water ? if yes, it may help to me.

I also find out the Leopard 44 catamaran did not have a grey water tank. and I think it's not the Single case .

Attached Files:

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Yes and no.

Endocrine disrupters do not break down and they come from human pooh via drugs and they are far too common.

To say grey water and black water are the same thing other than concentration is rubbish.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

That is only true in developed countries, and so far these have not been recognized under law as a pollutant in human waste that must be treated. So yes, what you say is true is some areas, but there has not yet been any standards to address this issue.

Is it likely that anyone on board your sailboat has been consuming such drugs? For many it is not an issue (not in mine anyway), so this is highly dependent on who is generating the waste.

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Petros, my good friend, any one who eats meat, takes birth control pills or is on hormone replacement is poohing endocrine disrupters. But, if the government doesn't recognize them as a problem then I'm sure everything is fine. Phew, what a relief.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I have found the following within the ISO standards. In many countries recreational craft must meet these standards:
    ISO 8099: 2001: Toilet waste retention systems
    I hope that reading is useful to fellow members of this discussion.

Maybe clarify something what I've found on Wikipedia :
    Greywater or a household processes such as washing utensils and clothes and bathing people.
    Greywater is distinct from sewage-contaminated waste from the toilet, called black water, because they contain bacteria Escherichia coli. Greywater is of vital importance, because they can be very useful in the field of ecological irrigation
    The term wastewater defines a type of water that is contaminated with fecal matter and urine, organic waste from humans or animals. Its importance is such that it requires piping systems, treatment and evacuation. Its no or improper treatment causes serious pollution problems

10. Alik

Alik Senior Member

You do not understand what I say. Look carefully at Your drawing - drain opening will be a flooding point from where the water (from the sea) can enter the watertight volume of hull. It is very low above waterplane. This is reduction of safety, called downflooding height in particular.

This is not just grey water issue, this is craft flotation issue.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Are we re designing the world today then?

I dont know about where you live but when it rains water falls from the sky and cat crap and dog crap and cow crap and all other types of crap, birds insects and dead stuff that may or may not come from a human runs down hill. Usually at the bottom of a hill is a stream or river and this you will be shocked to hear runs into the sea.

When you wash your car and you think the soap drains into the drain and dissapears,-- well it does on the surface but it comes out at the sea iether from run off the beach or those horrible rivers again.

So while your crapping into a white sterile toilet and saving your effluent to be cleaned every thing elses crap is already in the sea.

Psst dont tell anyone but its been going on a long time.

Some people live in little houses and work in little dark rooms with sheets of paper with rules on them.

Oil slicks, nuclear waste, chemical waste -- that is pollution and Mc donalds polystyrene cartons.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

A small opening in the hull does not have to be considered as flooding point. Just place the necessary means (a valve) to allow water out of the boat but it can not come from outside. The vessels are filled with small openings, even below the waterline, but all have one or another type of valve.

13. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Yes it does not, up to certain size or unless put a sticker 'Keep shut when at sea' :)
    And also mind small openings 200mm above WL.

I am not sure if You have ever sailed a cat or not, but.. With design he has, every time when wet deck slams the wave, there will be a fountain through the sink! One way valve will not help as it will clog the sinks, specially the one from galley.

14. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

Hi Alik,

I know the check valve, but as I just do the GA dwg , I think it's no problem for without these detail.

Maybe no worry about the wave through the sink , the one on the galley is above the water line 1.6M and the all sink with the S-bend pipe and plug .even if the wave through the sink , I think there only very few water can be through .

15. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Check valve and S-pipe will not work here. There will be a splash on every wave, imagine slamming load on bridgedeck...

Right way to do, as option:
    1. Run drain from upper sink directly out.
    2. For sink in demihull, drain should go to sump pump/box. Use same sump box for shower pads.

You should do some boating prior to start drawing boats :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.