Publicly available 16-18ft cat designs?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kerinin, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kerinin

kerinin Junior Member

I'm trying to build a cat for fun, but I'm having trouble finding plans to build from. I've been mostly looking at F16 designs (Blade, Taipan, etc), and I've tried contacting people who supposedly sell plans but nobody has responded.

Does anyone know where I can find some plans in a similar style? I found the old russian Tornado plans, but I'm looking for a more 'modern' design. I have access to 3d software and I'm planning to CNC cut most of the shapes, so it doesn't have to be something that can be build any particular way.

Thanks for any help!
    -Ryan

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

The Tornado was an amazing design. Over 40 years old but still the fastest, despite not having vertical bows, rounded decks etc that some people believe are necessary for speed.

You say "I'm trying to build a cat for fun"

I'm not sure whether you mean the building is for fun, or you want a fun beach cat (rather than an extreme racing cat)

You might like to look at my beach cats, particularly the Quattro 16. It isn't new (but half the age of the Tornado). Nor is it an extreme race boat. Instead it is an easy to build/sail stitch and glue plywood twin trapeze cat with a Hobie 16/Dart 18 performance.

Good luck with your search

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. kerinin

kerinin Junior Member

When I say 'fun' I mostly mean the construction process - I've been wanting to work with composites for awhile, and summer is so wonderful here in Texas that I thought building a sailboat would be a good way to entertain myself with a building project and end up with something that would be a lot of fun to use.

It's funny, I was just browsing your site earlier today - I like how the Quattro's hull shape eliminates the need for daggerboards (or would those be considered daggerboards?).

I'm still hoping to end up with something like a blade or viper design, and to be honest it's almost entirely for aesthetic reasons. As I said, I'm mostly interested in building as a way to make something; if it works really well that's nice too, but that's sort of a secondary aspiration...

I'm a little absurd, I know.

-Ryan

4. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Gougeon A-cat plans produced a nice boat, and not as large as the Tornado. Not sure what the substitute there is.

If all you want is a plumb bow, that is easily worked in with a tortured ply hull, I have in the past just adjusted the profile and folded it up. One has to be a little careful as one builds them, because it is almost as though a fold up boat wants to have a rounded bow, and will squeeze the volume out of the forefoot. But it can be massaged back in.

There is an American Tornado plan free online, also.

I would get in touch with epoxyworks and order the free back issues of the magazine that covered JR Watson's cat design. He did a tortured ply hull to replaced hobie hulls, and did lot of cool things in making them.

5. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

I'm surprised that the Blade guys haven't replied as the plans are probably the best + it has a resale value when you are finished. The same designer is building an easier constructed version called the Razor.

Google up catsailor F16 forum or go straight to the F16 catamaran site and you will get a link. The forum there has a huge wealth of information.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.