Pro-B (Pro-A sailplans/hullplans???)

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bearflag, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

Was looking at Terho Halme's boat and a few other pro-a's and was pondering weight-to-windwardness. Most pro-a's are opposite of this (that I have seen). So now I have seen weight to lee with sail, weight to lee with sail on the outboard hull, weight to wind with sail on the lee, and also weight to wind with sail on wind. So I guess the question is? Advantages to any of these configurations? And if there isn't anything compelling, then what is with the normal shunting not tacking/jibbing advice on the proa-a, if it doens't matter, or only matters "a little" then why not design a pro-a that can sail either way well, or further isn't a pro-a that can be configured sail to wind or to lee just a biplane cat with one mast chopped off and went on a diet in one hull? And if that is the case, why not have a mast on wind and lee, and have a bi-plane pro-a? (aside from this making it not really a pro-a at all, I dub it "pro-b")

Seems to me, that weight to lee would be more stable, but weight to wind may be faster (if one hull gets out of the water) since it would be less likely to lift the heavy hull, but I haven't really thought about it. (until just now)

2. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Bi means bi wt and windage - even if lower AR?
    Rig it like a cat in the centre and sail it either way - full sail WTW and reefed as pacific........
    OR - (abomination!!! HorroR!!!) a double ended cat :D Shunt or tack it and have the bi rig.
    Everybody is still very divided over bi rigs - and proa's for that matter - but thats also what makes them so cool!
    The main advantage seems to be that you get a bigger boat for less...Have you seen gaia's dream?

3. bearflag

MADNESS!!!

(precisely)

((and no I have not seen this boat))

4. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

But isn't that what people say when they see/hear proa?
    Too out of the box.... What is it that you are looking for exactly? 20m proa?
    If its cruising - it isn't pacific...... small - fun - go pacific - otherwise (whatever rig) do the WTW? Me i want alternatives to what there is.... but at a reasonable price - so it has to be viable cash wise - not crazy for crazy (different) sake.
    Make sense? I'm still working on it myself.....
    Have you got then cash to experiment on things that may not work....
    I'm looking for something half that size but also am getting nowhere in the proa confusion. Still like the idea tho'. Sorry that more proa people dont post here - but also much arguements and confusion.... very few "proven" idea's. Sailing is consevative . Proa's are out there and madness...

5. bearflag

That Gaia's dream is pretty rad,

I think that one problem I have with Pro-a's (not the only problem, but one of them) is that I am not sure if I like the idea of not having a Jib/Genoa ability, or that if I did have one, I may have to have two, or move the thing from fore to aft every time I shunt.

6. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

With a reversable rig that not my worry - a balanced sail plan is ok - i like the ideaof a single balanced rig like harry or ping-pong - it's reversing the whole boat that gets me. I'm used to tacking and we are creatures of habit....
    Have you looked into larger tacking outriggers? Arpex? I am still favouring a cat and a ketch rig but love the idea of a proa.....
    But it hasn't "clicked" yet.... which is why i am putting so many stupid questions up and hoping for experienced/knowledgeable replies.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.