Is it possible to build a liveaboard multi in 90 days?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Sundevil, Oct 20, 2012.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

FYI that website you posted,and it's owner-fun to look at the pictures but that's all they are.

I dealt with him very briefly-once-and never again.

You get the point... good luck!

2. Sundevil

Sundevil Junior Member

You have to watch out for those. :D

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/EastGL_hist.shtml
    http:// www. ndbc. noaa .gov/ maps/ EastGL_hist. shtml

Click on one of the blue squares and the significant wave height link to see a yearly average of wave heights by month. And I would probably stick closer to shore, and only be in Michigan from late May to late September.

You have to watch out if "the gales of November come early" though.

3. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

It is one of those deals where if you have to ask... I remember the first ama I built took me 6 weeks of part time evening stuff. The one that followed took less than 6 days. My pal who is building a Wharram Tiki (slow boat to build for what it is) 46 spent a few years on the first hull, and a few weeks on the second. He had cut out a set of bulkheads and keel parts for the second one, with the first one. But that is not the real difference. The thing that makes the difference is never hesitating for a moment over anything. Unfortunately that is not something that you can get off the net. If anything you will waste a lot of time finding a millions ways to do something, none of which you will end up using. That does help compared to having no ideas, but nowhere near as much as working on the second hull is faster. For example I remember the big hull tuning party for the first hull forty or 60 people showed up. By the time he did the second one, I never even heard about it. I think he had a few spare hours...

4. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Huge variable is the quality of the working environment. Less space, more time. Less tools, more time, though for boats the kit can be quite small. Building out of doors, or in conditions of cold, etc... huge time waster.

5. tomas

tomas Senior Member

According to a UK authorized importer, the new Torqeedo "Deep Blue" 80HP electric outboard is around $23K and is only being sold to boat-builders.

Their matching recommended Lithium batteries are $37K for 26KW and $74K for the 52KW version.

OUCH! Very 'green' indeed... $$$

6. hambamble

hambamble Junior Member

A fast way to make the hulls would be to make them inflatable... Doubt it is remotely practical for this design, but it would be very quick. Another idea i have been toying with is to make a mold for the hull inflatable, It would be very difficult to get the right shape, but it may be a cheap and nasty method of getting a mold for layup, particularly if your not too fussy about shape

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The fastest way to build multihulls is the Kelsall method.

I cant guarantee the economics, but owner after owner has been surprised how quickly the hulls appeared.

http://kelsall.com/UniqueKSS/WhatIsKSS.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.