plywood racers

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Ah, Bruce, you're so cruel and brutally honest.
    But to be honest, ha, most/all my rebuilds are the bloody stupid, too large chord, wing masts I'm fixated with. Must be a hidden phallic symbol - that I don't know about. But I do love them for their power, efficiency and speed.
    Anyway, back to common sense: a "sensible" Sid, that is a 3 Devils (full length floats, slightly larger main hull) built in high tensioned 3 and 4mm ply, (that is everything including mast and beams) would end up a very light (260-270 kgs) and did I say robust? 8 x 8 metre design ... smaller wing mast (say 275-300mm chord) would just eat any F22s, B24s, C24s and the like for breakfast. And built yourself, no sails, less than NZ10 grand. No ****.
    Anyway back to Sid's new 500mm wing mast, here it is ready to go.

Attached Files:

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Light is best

Gary, I wish I had your mast building skills- but maybe not quite so much "practice" :D
    I agree Richard, lighter boats are usually faster, and cats are usually easier to build light than tris in these sizes. I feel the Buc 24 size/style of boat was designed more as a fairly capable pocket cruiser than the smaller "beach campers", so it is not a very fair comparison anyway. I like to race for entertainment and want a boat that can hold its own, but I am probably more of a cruiser at heart and I don't enjoy trying to sleep in a "cabin" that is more like a coffin, and I am not too fond of tramp tents either. (I have one for my boat) It is also a lot easier to put a double berth in the "fat" hull of a tri, and I do still enjoy sleeping next to my partner. Personal preference only, but it does tend to keep the family happier about owning boats. If I want to do some "raid" type events, I would want a smaller and much different style of boat than my 24- or any 24 for that matter. At my sailing club, the 18' A-cats are the fastest boats, and now they are starting to put lifting foils on them. Just saying;)
    Around the southern USA, thunderstorms are a real issue, and small tris are a little more forgiving than cats when rigged with enough sail area to be competitive. If you sail regularly here, the storms are not avoidable, just endured. A cabin you can sit in comes in handy then, and is also a little more bug resistant when necessary.
    I do relate to being a Commodore and owning a fleet, but I don't count them on the chance my wife ever realized how many there are. I was a boat dealer so I am used to losing money on race boats- I got good at it :mad:
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.