Paradox Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Wavewacker, Sep 25, 2011.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

3. TDSoren

TDSoren Junior Member

Wavewacker,

I just assume the widest immersed beam vs WL, so on a flared hull that would be right at the surface. On a Box hull like Eeek it would be constant. You're right, the reason for the knuckle is twofold. One is to increase interior colume for accomodation without affecting the waterline width, the second is for reserve Bouyancy. I guess the extreme case of this would be Bolger's box keels. to do a nice knuckle that doesn't pound itself really steps up the hull complexity, and on a cat you need to build two hulls.....

Lately I've been considering a 30' tacking proa. by the time I get into a long enough cat to have good accomodation in the hulls width wise, I now have more room than I need because there's two of them. Build one double knuckled cat hull and hang a relatively simple float off the one side. I can then use an unstayed mast stepped in the main hull and hang a nice reefable cambered junk sail on it. Water ballast in the float VIA whale pump like Russell Brown did on Kauri is an option if I want to keep the float size minimized. I might even push back down to 10-1 at the waterline of the main hull becuase I'm only dragging ONE that big and fat through the water. Ig the cockpit is kept off to the side, I've got the entire 30' inside the hull for accomodation as the cockpit doesn't intrude.

Tom

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Marc, thanks for the links and that was a very nice looking boat, not alot of room, but really nice. I will look up the Hortsman as well.

Tom, Thanks, you're right I think a cat is more than twice the work. I'll try to find those as well.

Having one knuckle out works for one woman who has been living aboard a 16/18 footer (I think it was) it's in Duckworks, "Think before you build a boat",

Even with a knuckle seems you could use the space for a berth or galley area, but not the head (unless there was a hatch in the bottom to open..LOL)
    So far, I have not seen a tri or mono/ama setup with a pilothouse or trawler style cabin, as they would probably look pretty stupid, I can't really picture it.

As I mentioned, buying an existing boat, as is, would be smarter. Converting one would be an option as well. I need to get moving one way or another as I want to be out there in a couple years.

Another thing is that I don't really want something that looks totally off or really unconventional. Seems you have some problems blending in at some marinas with a shanty.....

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Wavewacker,

There are quite a few Cross trimarans in the larger size with what looks like a pilot house. Some are essentially all the way across the boat. Not what I would want but seems to fit your concept.

Marc

6. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yes, I have seen the big ones, they are too big and expensive...from what I saw.

While Paradox might not be a good one to start with for a motor tri, Dan's appeals to me, just larger. It's really the Sharpie hull form and Dan's is similar.

There are many other boats that could be built by someone, but not me as boat building is not real estate construction, ya gotta know your limitations. I have never built a boat, so it needs to be a simple build. Or a simple conversion.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, I know things are bouncing around, but I do have a clue about what I want/need.

Again, it must be trailerable and towed by a F-150 pickup. Needs to be a rather simple build. Must operate economically, the target is 1/2 gal per hour but less than 1 and a half. Hopefully, full blast it would do over 15 knots, cruise a 10/12, but 8 might get me around. Need to live on it for three months. Workboat finish with at least 8' of open flat deck space in length.
    It needs to haul at least 1,500 pounds, 2,000 would be much better. Lastly, it needs to be stable with little roll/pitch/slamming in moderate conditions.
    It's primarily for rivers, shallow draft, but needs to be able to goin the gulf and get around Florida and the ICW. Sailing downwind is a big + + +!

While all that might be a custom build, I don't think it's asking too much. A cat or a tri seems to get closer to those requirements.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.