open 8.5 tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by lancemansell, Jul 26, 2012.

1. lancemansell

lancemansell Junior Member

Im looking at designing and building my own NZMC open 8.5 tri.
    does anyone have any information on the LCB, CG, CLR , CE on any racing trimarans with a LWL of around 8.5m?
    or does anyone know of any good books with this information ?

2. joz

joz Senior Member

Firstly most/all designers won't give you that sort of information thats something you have to figure out yourself, best bet is to do your research on the net or in books/magazines about the 8.5's.

Or better yet build an existing 8.5 from plans that are currently available.

3. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

joz isnt this a boat design forum? where people discuss things like LCB? maybe im lost on the interweb and actually on its sister site... buyboatplansfromadesigner.com?

Lance my tri has a LCB 55.5%. If I could change it I would move it to 57% as we have to have a lot of weight forward in the light breeze. (rear beam is a long way aft tho so this effects things)

1 person likes this.
  4. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Lance - you've got the leading exponents in design, building & sailing - in the '8.5 rule' right in your own back-yard - - why don't you ask them. I sure as heck would & I live across the 'puddle' & could still get the answers you are looking for. What's up with you - - can't you talk to your own people ??? Ciao, james

5. BPL

BPL Senior Member

touchy subject

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

What is "lcb"

And what does changing it fore and aft do? B

7. lancemansell

Lcb

longitudinal centre of buoyancy or LCB
    is the balance point fore and aft of a vessel.

8. lancemansell

james

why is everyone so negative on this forum?
    all i did was ask a question and i get replies that criticize me and put me down

james
    there is nothing up with me!
    i know that New Zealand has the best 8.5 builders and designers and some of the best yacht designers (Bruce Farr), builders (core, COOKSONS) in the world . i myself am a boat builder currently building team New Zealand's and Prada's AC72s so i have the contacts but everyone is busy down here in NZ (including me) building oracles ,Prada's and ETNZ's AC72's so i don't want to disturb anyone by asking basic questions about LCB so i came onto the site.

if you dont have any information or ideas that will help me, please keep them to your self thank you

thanks Sam for your information.

lance

9. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Lancemansell.

Maybe you just need to be a bit patient at present, work on what you do know at present and study what is about at present.

Have you tried the website www.multihull.org.nz it has details for the 8.5 class and designs.

Best of luck with your project.

10. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Cheer up Lance, you're going to face worse attitudes then this before you actually build your tri.
    Do not let other people discourage you and let the design stand out of the crowds.
    It might help to not look at this forum as second choice though; there is a world of experience here, share your design.
    Talk/write to lots of different people actually experiencing/building/designing/changing 8.5's; like Sam, who more or less invited you already, there must be many more in Auckland and surroundings.
    Do yourself a favour, "disturb" some people at work with your ideas/questions.
    Hope to hear more of your project,

Cheers,

1 person likes this.
  11. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

12. lancemansell

13. kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob Junior Member

Hi Lance - looks good - some questions:
    what materials are you planning to build from Ply/foam/Glass/carbon etc?
    What sort of float volume are you planning?
    Central centerboard or boards on the floats?
    float rudders or central?

Cheers

Dean

14. dantnz

dantnz Junior Member

Good on yer for giving it a go Lance, look forward to seeing how the design evolves. I hope you ignore some of the comments on here and keep us (ie amateurs like me!) up to date with the design values you come to and the reasoning behind them.

I noticed you plan to build this on the cheap - does that mean you are going to design it to be cheap to build or just utilise spare gear and materials you come by in your trade?

I'm assuming you are going tri so its better for cruising? I wondor if a tri design can be built in ply and still be stiff enough to be competitive - like an updated b28, or perhaps an (updated) tri version of the GBE.

15. warwick

warwick Senior Member

If you were to use Ply wood you could use tension ply, and get a light wight result. Gary Baigents boats are light weight (mind you there is not much boat to them).You might also like to have a look at the wavelength web site, Bob Forsters boats apparently come out at a similar wieght to a GRP foam boat. Bob has a different way of laying up the ply to what has previously been used.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.