NZ Buccaneer 40 Tri Project Boat - advice

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Ooks, Nov 9, 2014.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hi Ian, yes, I now see that! Its a bargain price but I guess you stand to lose the engine, the interior woodwork will become stained, she'll need a rewire, all electric gadgets will be lost so it's going to be a fair sum to refit her again. I guess its all a calculation at the end of the day however she is so cheap they are virtually giving her away so it doesn't get any more one sided a deal than that. If you have the energy and finance, go for it! But if I were you I'd be down at the boat stripping her out myself into the van of a large van to safeguard as much as possible.....

Let is know how it goes.
    Richard

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Links to the for sale add? I have read the book 3 times.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I think i would tow her over end over end rather than sideways, not too much strain on the structure that way. The Buccaneer is not a very realistic facsimile of Rose Noelle though as I remember.

Steve.

4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I interviewed and wrote up stuff for nautical magazines about Rose Noelle and John Glennie when he arrived (very drawn and thin) in Auckland.
    From photographs the B40 is a close example of his tri. He spent time working on Lock Crowther designs in Australia (Crowther 55, Spirit of America, I think) before he drew and built RN. So you're not going to find a much closer replica. Just imo.

Lucainbarca likes this.
  5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

My bad, i just did a search and they are remarkably similar actually, for some reason i thought she was more Piver like.

Steve.

6. Ooks

Ooks Ian

End over end - had definitely not thought of that.
    My thoughts at the moment are to flood a single arma and add some weight to overcome buoyancy of the foam core. After it has sunk a little tow the other arma over the top. Then maybe release tank of air into the flooded arma to evacuate the water.

I am very interested in your thoughts on how to go end over end. At the moment I am struggling to even think how you would approach that.
    RN had a much wider flair/living area in the main than the Buc, but really paint her yellow and she will be a pretty good match.

7. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Righting a multihull end over end is a fairly standard method, you rig a bridle from the bows and take a long line over the bottom to a powerboat and as you drag it backwards, the transoms dig in the boat rotates upright. Its been done with both cats and tris. Ive not seen a boat capsized this way but I don't see why it would not work, it may involve using a drogue or sea anchor for resistance but it seems doable.

Steve.

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Including a 40' with the mainhull full of water, sounds like it would put a lot of strain on the hull and hull/deck joint? I have zippo experience in this so could be 101% wrong.

9. Ooks

Ooks Ian

To be fair I can't imagine many people in their right mind want to capsize a boat for a lark, so would make sense you have not seen them go over in this fashion.
    Good point RHP - main will be supported by some airbags but still will be a few tonne of water sloshing around.
    I am also a bit concerned with the "slap" of potentially capsizing her that way - flat deck coming down on water and suddenly taking load sounds a bit hairy to me. Plenty to think about. Love to hear from someone who has done this - especially with larger multi.

10. Gary Baigent

Well, I was nearby on another tri and saw a Kraken 40 capsize once ... and it was very gentle. This was because they were carrying a big spinnaker and no one was holding sheet, was cleated, trimaran (Krisis) was hit by a williwaw and crew were too slow getting to winch (actually couldn't make it because of gravity, were falling down the increasing cockpit slope). I mean you could duplicate that method: sheet everything in tight and go for a savage broach but gentle inversion. Just joking.

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's pretty sad that it's cheaper to buy a trimaran and capsize it than make a trimaran like object to stand in for it for filming purposes.

12. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Gary how did the Kraken go over - pretty much main and windward arma over the top? without mast and rigging etc there will be a lot less weight in her, but was still a bit concerned on loads placed by taking 100% load onto a single arma.

Corely - its a good point. I can't imagine the film company will be much more that $30 or 40K out of pocket with the boat and I don't think you would even buy materials for the hulls etc for that.
    In the wider yachting community there is just not a lot of love for Tris unfortunately. The sadder end for her was to be chopped up and sold off for components - there is probably almost more in winches than I am paying for her. So at least that is not happening.

13. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I don't see any reason why you would need any water in the boat when initially inverting it, what I would do is drop a sea anchor or something that will offer a lot of resistance like a small parachute from the stern, then bring a heavy anchor line from the bow back over the deck to a powerboat and drag it backwards, once the parachute fills it should provide enough resistance to prevent the boat from just dragging backwards and allow it to rotate. I think it would be quite gentle. Obviously I havn't thought out every detail, just brainstorming here. For a cat you would use a bridle from the bow, im not sure with a tri, I think I would probably use a webbing sling under the bow tied off to the bow cleat so as to spread the load. For righting, it would be the reverse but probably easier. There was a video online of them righting Cheeke Monkee, a Farrier tri after it capsized in the Chicago Mac i think, it was a gentle affair, not at all violent, I would not have much concern at all about the water sloshing around, your not doing this in a gale I assume.

Steve.

14. Gary Baigent

Ooks, Krisis went over diagonally to sideways, if that makes sense. The lee float bow buried, spinnaker still drawing, crew tumbling and gently and inexorably .....!

15. Ooks

Ooks Ian

hmm this will not happen till April so still got plenty of time to think on it. I found the video of Cheeke Monkee - great tip thanks Steve W. 33ft and come up with rig and sails still attached.
    I am still quite cautious with the initial inversion in a similar way. Without rig etc to slow the boat down as it comes down I am worried it might come down with a fair sort of a thud. Thanks Gary - that sounds like way more loads than going over sideways in a controlled manner.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.