Nicky Cruz 7.6 launched

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jamez, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Will do once I get the squabs in and the wiring finished (half done now).
    In the meantime here is a drawing of the interior. There is 5'8" HR at the rear of the cabin and the hull is 6' wide at that point. There is sitting headroom (for me 6'2") over most of the settee berths. There is 8 feet between the rear and front cabin bulkheads (rear face of crossbeam in pic) with much of the V berth area under the fore-deck. I am only setting the interior up with the 2 settees for now. I haven't made the galley module yet and there is no table but it would be easy to hinge one off the dagger board.

Attached Files:

2. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Congratulations, Jamez. Worth all the work - looks great

Best wishes Alan

3. jamez

jamez Senior Member

A few sails in now

Well a month or so in and I’ve been out 4 times – once single handed - in breezes up to about 10-15 knots so far. She sails nicely, is well balanced, and tacks easily, including under main alone. Light weather performance is great and I love the way one can ghost along in light breezes while everything else is standing still. My handlebar tiller design has worked out well and means a tiller extension is unnecessary in the cockpit. With the mainsheet dropping down next to the helmsman it’s like sailing a laser and tacks just about as fast.

Importantly the boat has received the spousal seal of approval as being a big improvement over the previous wharram and more comfy to sail on. Plans for the next few weeks are to get a few more sails in, try the gennaker out and make any mods needed (like I need to move the lazy-jacks forward on the boom) before xmas vacation comes along.

Best speed so far 12.6 knots on GPS. Worst moment; taking 5 attempts to pick up the mooring bouy the the day I single handed. The wind piped up to 20 or so knots as I was coming back to the mooring and I kept underestimating how long to leave it before cutting the throttle and getting blown back. Got there in the end, but it must have looked funny from the shore.

If anyone is wondering the sails on the boat (recut magic 25) are approximately the same as designed SA. I got the mast made half a metre longer, you know, just in case :D:D Thanks Graeme for the pics.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Needs a wing mast, Greg ... and congratulations, the Nicholas Cruiser looks great - and yellow HAS to be a compulsory multihull colour.

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Thanks mate. Wing mast? maybe one day........if so it will be the other compulsory colour - red.

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

In http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/auckland-last-day-autumn-50560.html#post690509
    Tom.151 posted

Very nice trimaran,

Looking at GD's 6.4 and 7.6 designs, it appears yours is a bit of both.

Would you be so kind as to tell me more about the details - or provide a link if you have details online.

Any building pics and pics of the interior?

LOA? BOA? Weight? Payload?
    Anything unique about the build process? Was it an easy build?

Hi Tom,
    Mysterex is a NC 7.6 with the following mods: 1) longer floats to enable a straight beam across the rear of the cockpit and 2) the float sheer height raised.
    The original has the rear beam at the front of the cockpit. Otherwise its much the same as the white version on Graemes website.

7.6 long by 5.8 beam. Design disp is 1000kg. I don't know what she weighs, but I'd estimate about 800kg. She is a 'big' 25 foot tri.

Interior is described above. The only built in furniture is the settee's.

Construction is basic old ply over frames and stringers glassed over, with wooden box beams, so nothing unusual there.

Was it an easy build? It was easy in the sense that there was nothing particularly complicated about constructing any of the components, its all relatively simple woodwork with a bit of glassing thrown in. But there is a LOT of it, so its not the kind of thing you're going to knock off during your annual vacation. I think its the magnitude of the undertaking that people often underestimate. Once you've patted yourself on the back about completing the hulls and beams, you still have to paint it, make it all bolt together, sort out nets or tramps and how to mount them, plan the deck layout, build rudder, tiller, daggerboard, rig and so on. All the fiddly stuff at the end takes a lot of time. I was fortunate to be able to trial assemble the boat and step the mast in the back yard. It made final assembly at the boat yard a breeze and meant we could go sailing on launching day.

7. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Well done Jamez! Perserverence paid off and rewarded you with a lovely boat

Best regards

Alan

8. Graeme Delaveau

Graeme Delaveau New Member

Yes very well done Greg
    you saw the big project through to completion and have ended up with a fabulous and usefull Tri that will see you right for many years. It's not the kind of yacht that you will grow out of and wish that you had built something bigger because she has a fair amount of cruising accommodation to boot.
    In actual terms of building hours, she is twice the boat when compared to the Nicky Cruz Explorer ,although she is only 4' or 1.2mtrs longer.

I have updated my website a little recently.

Cheers Graeme
    delaveaumultihulldesign.com

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

10. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Hi guzzi, not the same (mines a 25), but an earlier version which is virtually the same concept but in a larger 28' package. You can compare the two on Graemes website. It was a very good boat and if I was thinking of building a tri I would jump at it for 1500 bucks.

11. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

If it was closer I'd have a look but tasmania isn't much closer than auckland and there is a small matter of bass straight :)

Looking at the beam pictures it looks like it might have been crashed, but a main hull rig etc for $1500 is certainly a bargain for someone.

What accommodations would that boat have and are they demountable ?

12. Graeme Delaveau

Graeme Delaveau New Member

Yes this is the origonal Nicky Cruz 28 (Performance Cruiser) launched in Auckland NZ 1991. Cheers Graeme.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.