new VPLP 78' cruising catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, May 17, 2013.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

If anyone is flush with cash and wanting to build a large cruising catamaran VPLP have launched a web page showing their new design the VPLP 78 catamaran.

http://www.vplp78.com/#

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Damn,

I won't alarm for every time somebody finds a tragic death at sea. The sea is dangerous I know, But after the death of Andrew Simpson I get a little bit sick when somebody dies on a luxury cat designed by VPLP. You know the same designbureau that came up with the winning design for Ac 32. I bet it was under full commisioning of Larry Ellison and Russell Couts but it let the Cup into very wild and heavy seas. (Proverbal speaking)

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It would be good to know, sad that Mousetrap's dismasting caused a fatality it's remarkably rare for that to happen when you consider how many dismastings occur particularly in racing boats.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

That's drawing a pretty long bow schakel. Let's condemn every designer and design house due to some vague association with something else. The details of Mousetrap's mast failure have not been published as far as I know it could have been a failure in the synthetic rigging or a fitting or even the construction of the mast itself.

6. pool

pool Junior Member

Here is what the french press said:

Le catamaran n’avait plus son gréement d’origine, car ce dernier a été renforcé par un nouveau mât carbone de manière à porter plus de toile. L’accident aurait eu lieu dans des conditions météorologiques très navigables, avec un vent très faible et une mer peu agitée.

and

Une enquête de gendarmerie a été ouverte à Saint-Martin. « On attend le rapport du capitaine. La prudence est de mise car contrairement à ce qui a été indiqué, le mât est tombé sous un grain et avec de l’air », explique Vincent Marsaudon de la société Lorima, basée à Lorient, concepteur du mât.

If I get that right, she had a new carbon mast rigged to enlarge sail area. Lorima is a top tier mast builder, so it will be interesting to learn the findings of the pending investigations.

7. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

I guess this means it isn't easy trying to make a better Mousetrap. Or in the original French: "C'est pas facile de faire une trappe des souris mieux!"

I'm on fire today!

--
    CutOnce

8. pool

pool Junior Member

update?

Have not heard anything about the outcome of the investigation since May 2013 - any news someone?

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've heard no news on the investigation or any information on the mast failure or it's cause, Mousetrap has recently had a new rig stepped.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.