New SAILS, and colors!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by soulofasailor, Dec 18, 2012.

1. soulofasailor

soulofasailor Junior Member

I am getting new sails soon, well i haven't shipped my old ones yet to the sail maker! On the Originals i have color Stripes , the sail maker says if i get color it will weaken the strength or fabric do any of you know of this being TRUE? Do any of you have any stories?

thanks

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Yes it is true because the coloured sections absorb UV at different rates leading to puckering and uneven degradation. Sad to see half the sail die before the other half is ready to go. If you have to have stripes stay away from red tones as they also fade the fastest.

3. soulofasailor

So how long do you think this takes to effect the strength? Or should i just stay with white? It will be sad to have no colors! Here are the colors i have..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. soulofasailor

So the Hobie sails don't last long either then?

5. cavalier mk2

It really comes down to how much time you are in the sun. Listen to your sailmaker about what colors to choose. Lighter shades have fewer problems. How long have these sails lasted for you and is it a acceptable lifespan for your budget. If so go with what makes you happy. I had a white and light blue alternating panel jib on a boat that lasted years but was outlived by one that was a solid color. For a small boat where costs aren't as high you can weight the scale towards your preference.

6. soulofasailor

Well being this is a 1980 boat and i have just had this boat for a Year, they are the original sails! 30 years they have been with boat!

7. cavalier mk2

Sounds like you have your answer, white cloth might have gone 40 but racers think anything looses its edge after 1 or 2 seasons regardless of hue. Be happy!

8. soulofasailor

Ok thanks for your input!

9. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

If they are dacron and you are gonna use them, the sail will wear out before the sun degrades it.
    If they are gonna sit around in the sun for ever, the coloured panels will degrade quicker than the white

10. soulofasailor

Well My sails will be used every weekend and then rolled up and put out of the elements! So i should be good if the new sails would last 10 years i will be happy! I just want to fly a hull at ease and give these hobie cat guys i sail with a harder time! Its all in FUN..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.