New range of Tony Grainger Trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

My blood pressure is low actually. I'm just about to pull down the roller door and go and see my 4 year old daughter sing some Christmas carols at her school. I'm looking forward to my short break over Christmas and hopefully getting some work done on my multi projects.

I'm also drinking good coffee (I found the secret was to grind your own beans for the best coffee). The worst part of life at the moment is the relentless phone calls and automotive repair work that "must be done before Christmas" even though it's been busted all year.

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You really are on drugs or need to be not sure which :)

3. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Quote :: Corley

My blood pressure is low actually.

Thats even worse. See a doctor Immediately and drink lots of water in the mean time to get that blood pressure up or you may collaspe and require hospitalisation especially if its in the 93 / 126 zone.

Start Now.

OC

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks for your concern for my health my blood pressure is within a healthy range :)

5. oceancruiser

Typical insults again.

OC

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You could read up about the 40' trimaran concept that Tim prepared for me on my blog so no name dropping just a statement of fact. I decided not to go in that direction as the cost of engineering the design was too high for me to entertain even though I thought Tim's design fee was very reasonable.

1 person likes this.
  7. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

The person I was referring to wouldn't require air travel to find a beach in NZ. :D

8. oceancruiser

NOTICE YOU ARE A AUSSIE AS WELL . GO SAILING TOGETHER AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIELD YOUR OWN CRICKET TEAM.

oc

9. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

How to win at the internet: USE CAPSLOCK! :p

You seem to have a real problem with the Aussie thing. Me? I don't have a problem with Kiwis. Even lived over there for the best part of a decade. Quite like the place.

We already have a cricket team. They're currently doing rather well in the Ashes. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. oceancruiser

England cricket team is rising now the Aussies don't win the ashes this time.

Your Quote

"You seem to have a real problem with the Aussie thing."

Yeah Rudeness , abuse, sledging, insults and you seem to have a problem with this KIWI. Been to Australia numerous times myself so we are both well travelled.

11. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Heard today that a friend of mine was going to sail on a flashy new tri in the Neptun Regatta.

While I'd never heard of this boat before, I search and find that Corley has it all sussed out already, natch!

;)

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

News from the Airplay crew at the Neptune regatta where the RAW 30 dominated the multihull division on their first foray into racing with the new boat.

https://www.facebook.com/airplaytrimaran

Well the Race to Zero was RAW's first time to line up against anything. It's been an exciting year in Airplay Land getting the boat off Tony's design board and onto the water. True to the original idea of doing trialling before production, we are there. When we saw the plug of RAW sitting in the shop floor and saw the flat bottom, we sucked our breath in a figured she'd either be fantastic or a wood duck! Well after racing RAW for 300 miles in all sorts... We can say... We are extremely pleased with RAW. She's a super rigid platform that can really go. Given that she's the first one we did expect to have a few things to correct before the production lines really start flowing. We did have a couple of things that we need to address but that's the way it is and we do have time to add the feedback to production. The only niggles we had were, 1. getting the 'top-down' spinnaker furler to work! 2. as RAW can fly the main hull the rudder blade was extended but this created a bit too much load for the rudder housing and we lost the bond between the cheek and the reinforcing band. 3. the Dyneema Spinnaker halyard jumped the sheave and broke the axle on the sheave.

1. Is still a Work In Progress, but on our last race we removed the furler in favour of a conventional hoist/drop and were MUCH faster for the effort!

2. This happened during the second race of the series just as we were happily flying upwind. It didn't sever from the boat but was just real wobbly and so we completed the rest of the series using only about 80% main sail.

3. Stuff Happens, even in paradise! Thin Dyneema can do that! A new arrangement on the Marstrom fitting will take care of future issues for production boats.

The photos here will show you a little about RAW what they won't show is how she can go when you do turn the wick up! Downwind we already knew she'd be good. But upwind was a question until we had something to measure against... Once she powers up, she really trucks and at high angles.

But perhaps the nicest surprise is... The way RAW handles the power! The ama's can really be pushed and the sail carrying power is extremely high. When we watch people sail her for the first time... We see the helmsman get into position and take the main sheet with them - everyone assumes she'll be a wild beast! But she's not! RAW has very good manners and never feels threatening! More wind equals more speed and very high angles of attack!

13. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Nice photo series on their facebook page about the mast.

... Otherwise I notice they didn't mention their secret weapon.

;)

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

15. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Very nice. I hope these actually come to fruition unlike the shelved Icebox 8.5 and ST7. The pricing will be interesting especially compared with the competition.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.