New daysailor/racing Trimaran designs by Motive

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, May 16, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Some more updates on the motive site they are making good progress and have pulled the main hull joined the halves and are making progress on the deck molds all looking very good.

http://motivetrimarans.blogspot.com.au/

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Corley,

Do you think taking a clapped-out Tornado and adding some strip planked amas would compete with this wonder boat (650# of carbon fiber)? Where do you think all that light weight carbon goes in this simple boat?

Perhaps I read wrong, is this a 650# displacement boat that weights 350#?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I actually think as you suggest a tornado main hull equipped with appropriate beam and with lightweight floats would compete well with this boat and may be faster, might be a bit more basic than what their target market is after though personally I cant really see the point of the cockpit on the Motive 25R or why it's a must have. When I get my plethora of other projects out of the way I'm going to have a crack at your tornado idea it sounds good. I'm thinking a tortured ply main hull with strip plank or composite amas and carbon beams.

Is there a weight listed for the Motive 25R? I could only see a displacement figure of 375kg's. If with the carbon they manage to get the boat weight to half it's displacement figure in weight it would be 187.5kg's which is pretty good for a 25' trimaran and somewhere around the weight of a two person F18 catamaran. If you can sail the boat singlehanded you would expect it to be faster. In light conditions you would unroll the 250sqft! screecher to power the platform up. It's certainly closer to the Ideal powered up beach trimaran than any other production small trimaran I've seen but the price you pay for that performance is quite challenging. The sliding beam system would seem to add some weight but they must think the practicality angle outweighs that, sorry about the pun.

http://www.motivetrimarans.com/motive25specs.html

4. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday all you sailors. I spent about 6 years sailing on - with - against the fastest 'B' class cats in Oz. Tornado's, Crowther 'B' class & Cunningham - Quest 'B' class & for the life of me I can't see what fascination that everyone has with the Tornado hull shape. There was never a Tornado made nor sailed that could beat a Quest B.

So if these days we want to start with something good - let us start with something grand - a stretched Quest 'B' class main hull (that's just because I think 20' ft or 25' is to short) then add 2 'cut-down' 'A' class cat hulls like the Johnsons 'A' class Australis hulls (c/w C or S foils - home-made - of course) @ about 20' overall beam put a 'C' class rig c/w a prob with a 'screacher' on a self-furler & NOW we might have a toy - BUT a real TOY. Use a 150mm x 6mm alloy main beam @ 16' aft for a 28' LOA. If I can get back into sailing - I might well have a go at putting one together. Home built - can't be over $5k - I wouldn't think - so very affordable - Yes/No ??? Ciao, james

Cholsson likes this.
  5. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

The YACHTe's Portal
    Over 300 Clubs, Over 80 Classes
    Resource Library, Discussion & Shop
    HomeClubs Classes LearningResourcesShopNewsBoatcardsBoat RegisterEmail This PageContact UsSubscribe
    ACT | NSW | NT | QLD | SA | TAS | VIC | WA | Add/Amend Club Info
    A to F | G to M | N to T | U to Z | Add/Amend Class Info
    ACT | NSW | NT | QLD | SA | TAS | VIC | WA
    VYC Catamaran Yardsticks
    Class Reliable Probable Tentative
    A Class 72.50
    Alpha Omega 4.3 88.00
    Alpha Omega 5.0 82.00
    Arafura 113.00
    Arrow 90.50
    Aquakat 87.00
    Calypso 14A 93.00
    Calypso 14R 92.50
    Calypso 16 85.50
    Calypso 4.4 85.00
    Caper Cat 103.00
    Cobra 84.50
    Dolphin 85.00
    Gemini 88.00
    Hobie 14 94.50
    Hobie 16 81.50
    Hobie 17 82.00
    Hobie 17 Sport 79.00
    Hobie 18 78.00
    Hobie 20 73.00
    Hobie Turbo 88.50
    Hurricane 5 76.00
    Hydra 85.00
    Impara 113.00
    Kitty Cat 99.00
    Maricat 4.0 Cat 111.00
    Maricat 4.0 Super Sloop 100.00
    Maricat 4.3 Cat 94.00
    Maricat 4.3 Sloop 92.00
    Maricat 4.3 Super Sloop 88.50
    Maricat 5.0 80.00
    Mosquito (All) 84.00
    Nacra 14 sq 84.50
    Nacra 16 sq 80.00
    Nacra 18 sq 73.50
    Nacra 4.5 88.00
    Nacra 5.0 81.00
    Nacra 5.2 79.00
    Nacra 5.5 73.50
    Nacta Int 17 72.50
    Nacra 5.8 72.00
    Paper Tiger 91.50
    Quest B2 80.00
    Quest B3 74.00
    Scat 96.00
    Solcat 18 87.00
    Solo 16 90.00
    Stingray Mk2 75.00
    Sundance 5.0 84.00
    Taipan 4.9 Cat 76.00
    Taipan 4.9 Sloop 73.50
    Taipan 5.7 70.00
    Tornado 69.00
    Windrush 14 Cat 92.50
    Windrush 14 Sloop 90.50
    Windrush 14 Super Sloop 87.50
    Yvonne 88.50

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I am just amazed at the stunning amount of money that seams to be "reasonable" these days.

Silver raven - for $5K it seems like either would be a good compromise. But according to idkfa's ratings above you might have a problem in the "average" Quest. Never have seen one being from the wrong side of the world.

I would have liked to see some of the newer boats rated, like the F-18.
    The one benefit of the Tornado as a Tri main hull would seem to be the size. It has a lots of volume.

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

The main benefit of the Tornado is availability ! everywhere

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Sounds like a good project James. Do you have any line drawings of the Quest B to work from? I looked at buying a set of hulls recently of Quest B2 which was local to me. I dont know what I'll do with them but for $100 I thought I might just buy them and put them in storage for now in my spare factory. I could take some measurements off them if you wanted?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QB2-5-5m-18ft-Plywood-Catamaran-Hulls-/130746590105?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e711aa399

9. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday Corley. - Yes I did see that ad in e-bay - but thought by the time I got them up here - they'd be in 'little pieces' - so put that idea in the 'bin'.

I'm trying to keep focused on another boat I've got my eyes on & can't do anything about even that one at the moment - need to fix health first & quickly - or none of any of that will happen.

It's a bit like all the other suggestions put forward - all very reasonably good ideas & I'm sure they would work. I was just trying to think of what was light, strong, efficient & could be put together to go really fast & at a reasonable price. By the way - I didn't think (personally speaking) that $5k AUD or USD - was really all that cheap - but one has to start with some 'ball-pack' figure - or not start at all.

I don't believe for one moment believe that the 'yardstick' of - Tornado @ 69 compared to Quest @ 80 - is correct. Am sure Lindsay & John Buzaglo & others (down your way) would also not agree. Id' sure like that handicap & be able to put some money on as a side bet. Like $1K & @ 50 to 1 & at scratch - start to finish - 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 races.

The idea that Tornado's are better because they are everywhere - just doesn't make any sence to me at all. In real terms Tornado's don't have all that much buoyancy when all is said & done. I didn't necessarily want 'buoyance' as such - what I was after was efficiency & less resistance through the water.

The above should answer some other peoples comments.

Now - what's wrong in Mlbrn - weather to cold - to wet - winter still has to long to go yet ???

What's not to like about 'F boats' ??? & with all the world-wide developments coming out of AC 45's & AC 72"s & everything that will flow down to all of us - what's not to like about a SL 33' carbon ???

Bet - London-to-a-brick - you'd like a streched to 50' one c/w a center cuddy - ala 'Sundreamer' to go for -

The Ultimate Corley Cruise - speed dash - @ an average of 45kts for over 500ks across the bottom of OZ.

Ooops - but you don't think much of them - bolloks would be my comment.

Ian's got his 'F-boats' 'booging-big-time' both in production - making a positive contribution to the world multihull scene - & marketing his products as well as being a leader in - personal committment - to his boats & the industry & all the builders of multihulls - regardless of what they are trying to build. Personally - my hat's off to him BIG TIME.

Enjoy your day, make some more money so you can go sailing (did you see that Tim Willett aka 'Timberwolf" (NZ) has bust 30 kts - WOW - so some good has come from the AC system developments after all.

With an 'A' class or a 'B-2' class whole boat weighing in at 75 to 95 kgs - a set of hulls only - would seem to make them much better for floats of a small performance tri than a pair of Hobie's or other very heavy hulls. I M H O Ciao, everyone & good sailing - c/w more smiles - faster multihulls & more carbon - curved foils & wing-masts. ciao, james

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Ive replied to your points in the message.

11. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Corley maybe you could post some pics of the QB2, tks

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

no problems Idkfa I'll post some up when I get the hulls. Just having a look around the web it seems that the QB2 hulls had a fibreglass shoe and plywood topsides. I'm not sure if that was universal or just some used that system. More updates on the Motive blog by the way they have jointed the deck mold into the main hull now looking good.

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The Motive blog has been updated, they have done the final finish on the main and float hulls and it's all looking very polished.

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Some photos of the Motive25 on the trailer and splashed over at the Motive trimaran blog. Good work to Ted, Zac and the crew over at Warren light craft the boat looks very sweet.

http://motivetrimarans.blogspot.com.au/

Attached Files:

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Motive

They sure do nice work! I wonder about the design philosophy of all three hulls being immersed at the same time?
    Looking forward to seeing the smaller boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.