New Catamaran Foilers

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This is very interesting. I imagine it will be very expensive. But, from a design perspective the foils on this boat are unique. They're the first UptiP foils I've seen with a "bulb" at the intersection of the daggerboard and uptip portion of the foil. Bulb's similar to this are used on many foilers with T-foils. It would be interesting to understand their rationale.
    http://www.fp-factory.com/

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Could it be something adjustable, or to hide the internal structure?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fp 28

I'm not sure....

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Accidentally found more on the FP28 mentioned in the first post*. This boat has very unique UptiP foils with "bulbs" at the joint between the uptip portion and the daggerboard:
    * see this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/banuls-design-50696.html

http://banulsdesign.com/_bd-cms/index.php?page=fp28

FP28
    CHRISTIAN FAVRE, THE SWISS DESIGNER OF THE FAMOUS CATAMARAN M2 VENTILO 28' & BUILDER JEAN PSAROS HAVE TEAMED UP WITH BAÑULSDESIGN & EB1LABS (Joseph Ozanne & Kevin Borrows) TO MAKE THEIR BRAND NEW CATAMARAN, THE FP28', FLY.
    PURE DESIGN & ENGINEERING (Giovanni Belgrano) IS IN CHARGE OF THE STRUCTURE
    MICK KERMAREC DESIGNS THE SECTIONS OF THE APPENDAGES
    HYDROCEAN RUNS THE NUMERICAL HYDRODYNAMICS.
    TAKE OFF SPRING 2015..... - CLICK HERE -
    Hull length 8.53 M
    LOA 10.50 M
    BOA 5.50M
    Mast Height 14.20 M
    Weight 460 Kg
    Main Sail 47 M²
    Jib 20 M²
    Genak 80 M²

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Stealth

Here is a new "garage" foiler from Australia with plywood hulls. They're using an A Class rig-not sure of the length.
    read wholw article here: www.catsailingnews.com

Report sent by Robbie Lovig:
    "Just writing regarding a boat myself and Barry Marmion have been developing over the last few months. Basically its a plywood catamaran with an A Class rig running L/V foils and T-foil rudders. Barry built the boat and foils/moulds in his carport!

On the budget of a semi-retired builders income!
    The toughest thing we've found is the amount of gear you break with the loads being generated.

I'm really impressed with this project primarily due to the lack of funding and how effective our trial/error method is working.

You guys probably have plenty of people trying to show you what they are upto with foiling, the big difference with this is the lack of funding behind the project.

We are maintaining stable flight off the breeze now and are skimming/flying upwind.
    Will keep giving you running updates."

Cheers
    Robbie Lovig.
    ------------------------------------
    Barry Marmion on the project: "... Stealth Aus, concept I developed with my son Brad who designed the hulls. I did not have a big budget so I built the 15' 6" hulls out of ply in my carport. I Glued 3 broken sections of A class carbon mast together and rigged it with a 2nd hand cut down A class main to end up with a boat costing $ 4,500.

After watching C class foiling Brad and I decided to design and retro fit foils to the Stealth. To construct the moulds we had 8 plugs (4 for each foil) made up using a router machine at RMIT, and then took moulds of the pugs. The 1st set foils I laid up had 10 layers of 200 gram carbon and a expanding foam core, they weren't up to the stresses and broke under the keel. The 2nd foils of consisted of 15 layers of C F with end grain cedar core They are still good a bit heavy (5 kg) each.

The epoxy glue for the foils was sponsored and supplied by Marine Timbers and the rest of the materials for moulds and foils cost around $ 2,500.
    It has not been an easy development process due to the fact that Stealth was not built for foiling.. Breakages include ! set of foils, 4 rudder blades, 5 rudder boxes, had to reinforce the main bulkheads,

My thanks to Robbee who tirelessly developed the tuning of Stealth Aus "

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

UptiP foil-bulb, straight L, or radius

================
    The reason to not use a bulb in this position, as I understand it from Greg Ketterman and others, is that with a fairly good size radius the effective aspect ratio becomes the whole immersed portion of the foil. I don't know if that would be true with a straight "L" with no radius.

Oracle AC 72 and AC 45 with straight "L" foils:

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

S.9

The Stunt is a 12' Italian foiler built by Bimare. More here:
    http://www.catsailingnews.com/

Excerpt-
    "With further developments on its foils the Stunt 9 conceived, designed and produced by Michele Petrucci is finally in production series stage. Michele went for an hybrid solution to optimize foiling, Moth style X2. After seeing Moth Worlds carnage Michele affirms his boat is safer based on "the S9 been designed with a barycentre mass quite backwards, along the position of the crew. In case of loss of lift in the main foil and the weight of the crew '80% on the rudders, the S9 will fall into the water in a horizontal line, in the majority of cases, this makes the S9 safer."

Attached Files:

12. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Wow! This is some pretty cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

S9

============================
    Here is a recent video of Michele's boat that is really looking good!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRTZik0Vf8

14. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

That team cobalt boat is pretty slick! I like the simple attachment of the foils. Suppose you could just as easily swing them back or even on end of the pipe like that change there angle.

Barry

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Flyer

From www.catsailingnews.com ,the Flyer guys in Germany are introducing a very light single handed foiler bigger(wider,more SA) than an A Cat: http://www.flyer-cat.de/startseite/formel-flyer/
    The foils are very thin and apparently an "L"(not UptiP) configuration sailed with both down.

Specs:
    Lenght: 5.50 m 18'
    Width: 3.30 m 10.8'
    Mast: 10m 32.8'
    Sail: 20sm 215 sq.ft.
    Weight: 90kg/198lb all together.
    Construction: Full carbon.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.