New to cat design - so many questions...

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Pooface, Sep 29, 2016.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Maybe things have changed a lot but what I've seen, if you look at a file with the commands to a cutting machine CNC, instructions are only for circular arcs and straight lines. There are no commands to cut a polynomial of second or third degree.

2. EscapeArtist

EscapeArtist Junior Member

I have a desktop CNC machine from Inventables that seems to be using Bezier curves to generate the paths.

Attached Files:

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Maybe I have explained wrong. The curve may look like a B-spline but actually is a polyline.

Attached Files:

4. EscapeArtist

EscapeArtist Junior Member

You may be right. There's a g code command for NURBS, but under the hood it's probably just a combination of line segments and circular arcs. In the longer term, I hope to be able to carve out a model of the boat, but it would be from thin flat sheets simulating plywood, so the shapes wouldn't need to be that complex anyway.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The perimeter of the shell plating, developed, are often curves the type we're talking about.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.