New 50 ft tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Elmo, Dec 17, 2009.

1. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Sounds optimistic.

I would not find that arrangement acceptable.

2. old-sid

old-sid Junior Member

An older example of bridgedeck tri

Hi All,

This is my first post :D

Please find pictures of a 1997 dutch designed bridgedeck cruising tri, approx 50ftx27ft weight 8.5 tons contructed in foam and resin.

The side hulls are accessible through the bridgedeck by stairs, and contain a single 'owner' cabin which can be made into double bunks. The rear contains two double beds.

Attached Files:

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Bah-gum its got more accomodation than the QE2 !!

Not being critical for the sake of it as I believe he looks better than the other tri, but why does anyone need 10 berths on a 50' trimaran?

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

hey RHP, stop asking sensible questions mate or you will be banned.......

5. old-sid

old-sid Junior Member

Hi RHP,

The reason for the number of berth's, is that the vessel was designed and used for chartering for 5 years+ at about 500 Euro's per berth per week.

The two rear side hull berth's have been removed, and are used for sail and anchor stowage.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Bah-gum :D - pity about the two berths removed. If you saw Manie's intended crew you'd make that thing like a bus :D

7. old-sid

old-sid Junior Member

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Sorry mate it kinda popped out whilst I was sober. Wont happen again. :D

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

OK, this time you are excused, just don't let it happen again, Cheers.

10. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I dont mind the boat,like the Lagoon the ugly cabin will yield a very nice interior but jeez,they went to great lengths to come up with about the most unappealing cockpit possible.My guess is the large amas are to keep the heeling to a comfortable angle,a lot of modern high performance tris heel way too much to be comfortable cruisers. A lot of the old Cross and Horstman tris of this size had really nice cockpits with enclosed helm and outside areas.
    Steve.

11. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Honestly this Neel 50 looks like someone designed a super small apartment, and then stuck it on a boat. It really looks uncomfortable to actually work, and I worry about the structural aspects of those front windows.

What is so bad about well made port holes?

12. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Tomato plants need lots of light. ;)

13. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Silver People on the Shoreline Let Us Be

This could be the opening comment for a future Apocalyptri conversation, with the Neel serving as a prototype for oceanic survivalist concepts. After seeing Avatar in 3D on an IMAX screen last week, I'm pretty much ready for any "out there" suggestion for a dialogue.

Sidebar: If you guys haven't already seen that movie, do so... and see it, if at all possible, in its full 3D glory in an IMAX theater. As a filmmaker, myself, I'm floored by James Cameron's vision realized... even if he is the screaming ******** of the century in person.

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I'm sorry, But to me that "Thing" is nothing but a streamlined ,or "Curvy", version of an early 1960's, first generation, "Roomeran", with all of the same disadvantages. :eek:

15. old-sid

old-sid Junior Member

Personally I prefer Trimarans over Catamarans, and feel it is about time for the catamaran bridgedeck layout to be more widely adopted in modern Trimarans designs. The majority of modern Trimarans seem to be built as modified racers, or trailable weekend cruisers having not gained commercial success compared to the roomy bridgedeck catamarans.

My biggest concern with cruisers using the Catamaran design, is seeing what happens after strong winds in that many moored cruisers end up vertical floating on one hull only (see a picture of a recent near miss).

A modern bridge deck trimaran should not be confused with the old roomerans, as modern trimaran designs are constructed with strong lightweight materials. Having a wide beam L/B ratio, with differing hull shapes between the main hull and the amas’s. The ama’s designed for having buoyancy fore, having curved hull shapes with no hard chines. The brigedeck trimaran is still a true modern tri, capable of flying a hull, and making fast and comfortable journeys.

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.