My transom?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by soulofasailor, Oct 2, 2012.

1. soulofasailor

soulofasailor Junior Member

All of you fine builders out here, i am thinking about redoing my stern i have no idea how to start this? I would like to have a step type but then where would i put my rudders or would i change that all too? what would you do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I don't think it is worth doing, I'd think of a boarding-ladder solution instead.

You have a very low freeboard boat, so what is prompting you to think about making transom steps?

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. soulofasailor

well when i am at high speeds the boat falls off lee ward, i thought maybe it was the rudder system and was thinking to rebuild the stern maybe or as around like i am here?

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

You may like to try anti ventilation plates on the rudders, fitted just below the hull

Also check that both rudders are at the same angle and the tillers are properly lined up.

You'll see on a Hobie, for example, that the tiller bar has an adjusting screw and the rudder blade rake can also be adjusted. Raked transoms always make the steering tricky

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

5. soulofasailor

Richard i looked at the www.sailingcatamarans.com and was wondering do you build cats?

i have done some measurements of back of rudder and forward of rudder and had to ad a washer on teller cross bar. we thought that might have done it but it kinda made it worse everything looks straight too lined up both tillers straight down the middle of the both hulls.

I was thinking if somehow i can make my transom longer, but i dont know if that will even work where would i put the rudders, because if i were to go thru all that i would lower the stern hull for easy step up while on a beach!

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Make sure the rudders themselves are straight. Cat tillers usually are angled in for Ackerman steering geometry - when you turn the inside hull then steers tighter. A kick up stern section with underslung spade rudders is one of the less complicated approaches to lengthening with improved rudders

7. soulofasailor

I guess too i am gonna check my mast maybe its to far forward just thought of this maybe my Forestay is to tight? How loose can it be or am i just pulling straws here? is there a trick to figure out if mast is correct placed?

8. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The trick is checking the balance. If you take your hand off the tiller does the boat head into the wind=weather helm, does the boat start falling off down wind=lee helm? Does it just keep going straight? Sail shape can affect these things too. A little weather helm is good- any lee helm is bad, if you are using lots of rudder to stay on course you are adding drag. Raking the mast forward will add lee helm or correct weather helm, raking aft will add weather helm or correct lee helm.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.