My summer power cat build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by F3M4, Apr 23, 2010.

1. F3M4

F3M4 Junior Member

First off, let me start by saying this website is the best resource I've come across for this subject, and I commend the excellent member base for that.

Now, on to me, I'm a college student at LSU and am in need of something to do over the summer, so I've decided that building a boat was what I wanted to do(after being denied the privilege of buying a motorcycle). This brought me to the problem of what kind of boat to design, which was greatly limited by my ability to store a trailer for the boat. This brings me to my decision to build a catamaran. I plan to have it completely detach so I can move it in my truck, the hulls should be around 10-12 ft long. What I am unsure of is how wide I can get away with, how much weight I can support, etc. I plan to make a frame out of wood and fiberglass over it. The boat will be powered by a jonboat style engine, and the deck should be a trampoline.

I am not trying to make a perfect vessel here, hell all I need it to do is float and be able to move around--it will likely start out with a trolling motor as its propulsion.

Here's what I've come up with thus far, ignore the motor and board, I was just playing around with a method to attach it.

[​IMG]

I am also unsure if the hulls should taper on both ends.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to look.

2. F3M4

F3M4 Junior Member

anyone?

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

I suggest that you talk with Richard Woods. http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/

Richard has thousands of miles in catamarans and I'm sure that he'll be happy to help you.

4. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

Summer Build..

Well building the boat is probably safer than the motorcycle. I would taper both sides of the hull. What are the vessel's dimensions? Good luck with it. What kind of outboard are you planning on using? Send pictures as you get the project going!

5. F3M4

F3M4 Junior Member

I will contact him,
    Thanks

6. F3M4

F3M4 Junior Member

As of now, I'm thinking the hulls will be around 10-12' long, as far as width, I'm unsure how much I can get away with, I would like to find a happy medium as far as "deck" area and stability.

As far as the outboard, I have no reservations as of now, I figure I'll build it, determine how much I can get away with, and then find a used motor(or repair one).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.