Multihull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Pinno, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Pinno

Pinno New Member

Hi i was wondering why you could not get two yachts and join them to create a multihull, Would this be okay?

2. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Your`e kidding , right ?

3. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Well technically he is right, just that the hulls are specially design hulls for the purpose they are choosen to do.

Pinno: you could get two yacht hulls and join them together, but the performance, behaviour, safety and many more elements of such boat would be really bad. You can gauge how bad by boat fan's reply.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It depends of what you want as an end result. I can see a party barge for protected waters being built like that.

5. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I had wondered how this would go 15-20 years back when I was sailing YW Diamonds and changed to multihulls

[​IMG]
    http://www.yachte.com.au/classes/ywdiamond.asp
    As they were a lightweight hull that performed very well, I had visions of joining the two hulls with a curved upward ply drum bulkhead for main beam and a box beam for the aft beam positioned fwd of the rudder.

Then cutting off the keel (which was 2 lamination's of 16mm ply with lead bulb in 2 halves) and putting in angled daggerboards on the outboard side of each hull.

Leaving the existing free standing rigs in place.

Wouldn't have been the fastest thing in the world, but 20 years ago 30 ft diamond with newish sails and bags of spares were selling for around $3000 aud, so it would have been an interesting and inexpensive experiment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.