MT26 Build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rubyjeaan, Dec 15, 2014.

1. rubyjeaan

rubyjeaan Junior Member

671 days ago I started the build, but the lines were wrong, so I wrote to Ed to let him know the problems. I think he thought I was maybe a first time builder and didn't believe me. But after persistent contacts he checked his lofting numbers and found he made a serious boo boo and has corrected the drawings. Will soon have the drawings this week. Time to start the build as soon as I get materials back in the shop.... Yeah
    I had to cut up the first attempt, it just wasn't right... Michael

1 person likes this.
  2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

That's good news I've always been intrigued by these horstman tri's and been interested in following a build they look like good cruising boats. Good luck with your build and good to hear that Ed is responsive to feedback even if you had to get on his case a bit :).

3. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Corley, I'd hardly say 671 days or thereabouts is responsive ! ;)

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==
    Sorry to hear about your trouble-at least he responded-don't imagine he paid for what you cut up?
    At any rate, best of luck!

6. rubyjeaan

rubyjeaan Junior Member

Trying to decide on doing a strip version, or foam fiberglass. Any thoughts, wanting to build light...

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

If it is light you want go foam, also probably the best choice for resale value.
    Secondly I would replace the chop strand and woven roving laminates with stitched fabrics (I would look at Basalt), epoxy or vinyl ester resin.

8. rubyjeaan

rubyjeaan Junior Member

I guess there won't be a build starting after all... Checked out the new prints and the problem was not fixed.. Ed repaired the drawings at the ama stern.. Problem was at the ama bows... That's just my luck I guess...... Michael...

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

It's not your bad luck it's his mistake. Ask him to fix it.

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Exactly chase him up and get him to fix it. I guess the other way would be just to take the forms with the right shape further back and develop a fair curve into the bow. I imagine the shape is not that critical on a cruising trimaran that a fair curve wouldn't suffice.

11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Are your plans showing 3" top to bottom of the bow , or is it tapered top to bottom ? On the long bow , my 31 shows a wide taper about 3" top to bottom if memory serves . You should have two bow shape options in your plans . I will check Christmas break.

12. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Man, I admire your tenacity in sticking with this design. I would have looked elsewhere by now. I just revisited your old thread, the hull you built it was a nice piece of work, it was a shame it couldn't be used.

This design might be a good candidate to build in vertical foam strip (a la Farrier and others). For a cruisy boat like this I would stick with the designed layup. A foam build also gives you the option of using polyester resins which are cheaper.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.