From Mono to Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Marvout, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Marvout

Marvout Junior Member

I hadn't thought much of the build process taking up space, but figured that by the time I was into lining parts up and attaching them, I would be able to pull them out onto the driveway. I have the length in my garage to build the three hulls, but not put them together into one boat mounted and open.

One thing I haven't seen, and wonder why... Why not put the folding mechanism into the trailer? Unfold the trailer, pull the boat on, drag the whole thing out of the water and then unbolt the beams. Once the beams are gone, crank the amas into place on the trailer. Everything stays balanced, fold mechanism weight is in on 'land' and can be built out of cheaper materials.

Marvin

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

It isn't just the set up stage. Some boats start as a little thing to which pieces are added, and eventually it becomes big, but never any bigger really than the boat itself. Others have parts strewn all over the place for molding etc... Also some make sub assemblies that can be taken outside, and assembled because they are essentially waterproof parts, others require a lot of protection from the elements right down to the humidity in the air. However, this stuff is pretty obvious I guess, by the time you have got around to building.

Some people have done exactly as you say, from simple ama lifting devices to parts that crank out from the trailer. The two downsides are that engineering a trailer to do stuff and stay all unrusty, isn't all that easy, though carbon fiber and laser cut parts are probably not involved... :) The other reason is that when the folding mech. is in the boat you also have options for slip sailing, and canal cruising, etc... Another option is to make small amas for cruising. I know it sounds real low tech, but amas can be built relatively quickly with vast differences in volume and materials. I have thought of simply making a light pair, small, and a small rig. Sure it wouldn't rip along, but for trips to the keys it would simplify both trailering and putting the boat together. The Tremolino gained it's great rep (ok part of it was for too small amas :)) With 16 foot amas on a 24 footer. Those made in 3mm ply and low volume, but not crazy low they could be a lot higher than Hobie floats due to the fact those were crescent moon amas.

Also, while I really didn't think the sliding beam set-up on some of Kurt's plans looked all that likely, I have seen the full sets now, and drawn with all the details it does look as though it would work really well, not sure if that gets you a trailerable boat though.

3. Marvout

Marvout Junior Member

Are there any sliders that are a one man operation? Sliders just make me nervous. I lean toward some form of fold or take-a-part.

Marvin

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Yes, it can be done on the water, although I personally don't have any experience doing it on the water. The spinnaker halyard needs to be led from the bow to a primary winch. (I'm thinking a block on a strop would be a good idea to give a lead that will clear the cabin top and still come in at the right angle to the winch.) Other than that, it's similar to doing it on the trailer. Except that you can't get completely out of the path of the mast if you lose control of it.

5. Tantalus

Tantalus 1963 kauri cruiser

Hi,
    I don't have time now to read the full thread, or draft a long reply. Suffice it to say I've cruised and raced my F24 mkII single handed extensively around the Gulf for 6 years. Email me at Pierre.trollip@courierpost.co.nz and I'll send you heaps of data, details and photos.
    Pierre

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

The only slider which worked for me was a stock Crowther International 23
    catamaran. However it was a tube boat , with standing headroom in the hull midsections and four full size single berths. On deck it was just another beach cat on steroids, A'La the Seawind 24, GBE, Gwahir, etc:.
    However it was very fast and fun to race.
    It was easy enough to slide in or out. but with all the rigging etc: it was a real pain for just a Wednesday afternoons racing at the Sandringham yacht club in Melbourne.

7. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

The boat I've been drawing for a few months now is a slider type trailerable cat. Beams are timber I-beams.

I think it will work fairly well. One point worth mentioning is that the boat will have a central spine running the length of the boat. This subtracts a little beam from the cabins, which is bad, but allows for the possibility of slip sailing and canal cruising with the mast remaining up. Since the boat is drawn for a donor beach cat rig, I'll have to have some sort of structure to hold the mast up when the shrouds are slack-- maybe a temporary tabernacle that will let the mast stand up more or less straight when the hulls are together.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.