Modernising a Horstman Tri.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by redreuben, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Although the two beams close together on your design look very stylish, you actually need something for the main sheet track to run on - and if you have the track with this two beam close together setup, then the main sheet positioning will be halfway along your boom. Which will have to be reinforced quite heavily to handle the bending loads. Conversely with the beam set further aft and closer to transom, you can run your track (or attachment main sheet system) on top and the sheet position on the boom will be at the end, directly below (or close to) the mainsail leech, so the forces are aligned, provide better control and more power to the leech ... and therefore requires no boom reinforcing.
    Neat little boat, Warwick.

2. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Thanks for your comments Gary, I am more inclined to go with the rear cross beam further back. The two cross beams close together was part of a mono cross beam Lay out idea I was trying out. Some thing else I am thinking about, is putting the dagger board in the float to free up internal space.

In some ways it was following the idea of a modern buccaneer 24. Of late I have started from the hull out, it still a work in progress. Taking on Gary's idea of keeping it relatively small. From now on will move it to you own boat design thread in the future.

Attached Files:

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

For goodness sake Warwick - go & build an accurate - high quality model at least 1 mtr long - before espousing any more design theories, Please. ciao, jj

4. warwick

warwick Senior Member

The point taken Silver Raven.
    It has been my plan to build a model in the near future, to confirm details (1/6 scale). How ever I may need more advice in certain areas (hopefully no need to).

5. Silver Raven

Wassa - what's its gross payload ??? Sail area & extras - sail area. What is its 'static balance' - please ciao, james

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Thread drift ?

7. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Careful there redreuben, last time someone bought up thread drift/off topic they got a few insults thrown their way !

Will you have a blog setup to follow your build? Maybe a build thread on this site, I'd sure be interested in watching your progress

Good Luck with the build

DAVE

8. Silver Raven

Gooday Reubex & 'gypsy' - to you both & others of course. Reub - correct - 'off course' & 'thread drift' - I'll go stand in the corner - - good of you to pull us back. 'Gypsy' - incorrect information - what you say is just not so - however I'll leave it at - your good sense of humour.

Reub - have you decided to go for a longer tri - like 28' or 30' ??? or have you gone back to the 24' to 26' idea ??? With the modern materials (excluding carbon because of cost) I'd think a 30' ish would give you & the kids much more - payload - & value for money spent - in a very short period of time - like within a year of 'splash' cause the longer - slightly more volume @ no extra weight - would sail nice & have more room for kids & adults to enjoy to the max. & have more fun.

Have you got a place to build it ??? Shame we are on the other side - of the paddock - cause there's 15 acrea & lots of sheds to work under - with & around - over here - - just a tad far down the road. Darn. Ciao, james

9. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Sorry Silver Raven, but 'incorrect information' is not incorrect, post #233 in Historical Multihulls, if those aren't insults then I'll be buggered. I for one value Oldsailor7's posts, please control your temper :p

DAVE

sorry for the drift RR but couldn't let it go :(

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

All good boys, think I was subtle enough.
    Silver, 28' would be max I think for the right design, would be nice to see if Gary develops an interest in finishing his design that could be my ideal.
    Otherwise Horstman has a 27'9'' but it is a roommaran and so I think the original idea of stretching the 24' is still favourite.
    The kids will probably only daysail or later on meet me at a destination, certainly the daughter will. So the boat will essentially be for 2 adults with extra accommodation when required.
    Building space is not an issue, as for blogging it, love too but have a few more pressing issues to confront and I'm in no screaming hurry just yet.
    R

11. Silver Raven

To you 'gypsy' you can & it would be great if you did just that - 'I'll be buggered"

There are few others in here or anywhere else for that matter that value Paddy more than myself - we have been in this 'multihull area' since the early 60's at least - if that's O.K. with you - - fine - if it isn't - then that's fine also. If you think - I've lost controll of my temper - you're not all that smart - after all - which maybe true or not - I for one don't care what you think - You are of little or no value to me - at all. So having listened - to your very wise words- I'll just totally ignore you - forth with - which - I'm sure will please you not end - so both of us can go on with our lives - not needing to in any way - bother with the other.

So David - You can now let it go. I sure hope so. Your personal abilitiy to - not let it go - is a relavation to us all - I'm sure - NOT.

Back to proper thread - If you can manage that. Gawd I sure hope so. jj

12. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Silver Raven , the sail Plan I had started earlier was 269 square foot, in terms of pay load I had not really thought of it yet, and what do you mean by static balance? center of buoyancy? To a certain degree I am reverse engineering from a scarab 22, I was not comfortable with cross beam to water clearance.

This will be my last post on this thread concerning my own design. Until I am further advanced, then it it will be on the boat design thread. The static balance query may still be applicable to this thread