Mochi Craft Long Range 23 Hull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Guido, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Guido

Guido Junior Member

2. luff tension

luff tension Junior Member

There was a highly unsuccessful yacht called Silver Bullet in Auckland which is a similar concept - one bow, two sterns and a similar tunnel arrangement - designed by Grant Firth. About 55ft.
    Was often called a monomaran but was more often referred to as the silver maggot.
    And did I mention it didn't work

Attached Files:

3. Guido

Guido Junior Member

Long Range

Thank you for your reply.
    Have you got any picture of it, fuel consumption data, boat test, ecc.?
    I'm looking for information/design/experience on boat/prototype similar to Ferretti's one (better if smaller, araound 40'-50' of LOA and 15' of beam) with following features:
    • semidisplacement multi "submerged" hull
    • Monohull aspect
    • Maximum speed about 20-22 Knots
    • Average economical speed 15-18 Knots

Thank you everybody

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

One significant difference is that Silver Bullet was a sailboat (heel!) while Mocchi is a motorboat. I am not surprized that this concept applied to a sailboat didn't work. However, it makes sense when used on a powerboat. Wave interference is at work here imho, and it can be much better controlled and used for minimization of resistance on a constant-heel (zero heel, in this case) boat.

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Looks like a structural nightmare, and I don't think it can be called "revolutionary", just another tunnel hull like a sea sled or rescue minor carried to extreme. I also think some of the add text is disingenuous about powering humps and hollows and where this hull operates compared to " classic displacement" or "planing" vessels of the same volumemetric Froude number. Personally I think they are playing with wake fraction and wheel size along with hump location, all of which can indicate improved "efficency" relative to a standard semi-displacement hull of the size (15-20m?). FWIW, transport efficency (i.e. Tonne-NM/ltr) is a better measure of a hull IMHO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.