mia

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by cavalier mk2, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Me old mate Don Gifford somehow lost his balance on his very staid H32 while motoring (they can roll a bit and the lifelines were as expected, completely useless in stopping his fall) but luckily he was trolling a fishing lure ... so he grabbed the line which slid through his hands until he reached the lure. His usually completely useless crew were down below but his shouting alerted them (I think that is how the story goes, may have it slightly wrong) but he was completely exhausted by the time he pulled himself to the transom (he is a powerful, pugilistic bloke but getting older) and they had to winch him up on deck where he lay completely exhausted and frightened for some time. Lucky for him there was a fisherman on board?

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

It's always good fishing when the catch doesn't get away. Did you ever ask Don what he used for bait?

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

It was a lure, Cav, with three savage hooks; he said his hands were lacerated by the time he got aboard - and lucky for him, "There's my beloved Aldebaran leaving me behind, oh, the treachery, whoops, I'm hooked."

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Reminds me of Alaska, the guys on long liners always got their hands ripped up by the hooks. I got knocked off the deck of a seine boat with a huge batch of the burning red jelly fish making a bag in the net, swinging as the boat rolled. The sting on those feels like you are getting burned by acid. I actually caught the big rub rail halfway down the steel side as the dang thing dumped on me, ouch. They couldn't believe I didn't go in, they were about to mark the spot for the coast guard. Luck sometimes involves a bit of pain but it is small change if you are alive to feel it!

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The Qingdao China team have recovered the trimaran and are sailing her back to Hawaii.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The scream of the reel ratchet may have brought them above decks. The 'catch' was inedible !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.