mast raise fail

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by taezow, Jul 26, 2010.

1. taezow

taezow Junior Member

My first attemp at raising my mast did not work.

mastraise 006.JPG

I used my wall jack but it did not get the mast high enough. I thnk I need at least 45* to finish it off with using a halyard.

I can move the attachment point closer to the mast base, and move the wall jack closer to the boat as well. Not sure that would give me much more hight.

Thought about putting the jack on the bow, that would give me plenty but it would be a little too scary.

How close do you think I could have the attachment point to the mast base? The spreader is the ballance pnt of the mast.

I'm hoping to use the wall jack because I allready figured out a fast solo way to install the amas with jack.

Could hook my van up to the trailer and put the jack on the van rack. That would put me well over the 45* range and that is how I will be sitting when I'm at a launch site. But again seems a littly scary.

Any helpfull thoughts?

mastraise 004.JPG

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Looks like you rested the mast on top of your van?? If you can get it off the van you can get it the rest of the way as the loads reduce as the mast goes up.

Normally there is no problem using the boom/toppinglift/mainsheet to raise a mast.

The usual problem is ensuring the mast doesn't move sideways but goes up vertically. You won't have that problem with inline spreaders.

So to be honest I don't see why you don't do it that way

Oh, don't forget to attach the forestay before raising the mast, you don't want it falling down aft!!

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Why not use a set of shearlegs?...minding the power lines BTW...

4. taezow

taezow Junior Member

Normally there is no problem using the boom/toppinglift/mainsheet to raise a mast.

I would love to do it the normal way.

Toping lift from top of mast to boom end then pull on the boom end to back of the boat?

Wouldn't the boom just fall over sideways?

More help please my way seems crazy?

Look at this death wish :confused:

mast 2 002.JPG

mast 2 003.JPG

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Don't forget that the boom also needs to be held on CL.

I once saw someone try to hand hold a boom in position during a similar lift (actually lowering) and when it loaded up it savagely slammed off center, dragging the person who thought they could hold it through the air. They were lucky the boom didn't flop to the side where they were standing. They would have been killed.

6. Richard Woods

Does this photo help?

You need tight guys from top of boom to chainplates to stop the boom twisting

(This photo is of a rotating mast so looks a bit wrong)

the biggest mast I raised this way was about 50ft on a 53ft ferro monohull

Attached Files:

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Richard has things right as usual. I routinely raise and lower my mast using the boom for a jin pole by myself. I use my running backstay tackle as sway preventers taking them in (or letting them out0 a little at a time with each bit of raise or lower. With my mast I run a 5-1 purchase and then lead it aft to a winch to make it easy. Raise it a little, take in the slack on the sway preventers, repeat. I raise my mast from the stern forward because it makes sense with the hard dodger so I rotate the gooseneck fitting to use the boom forward. Easy since I use sturdy old scottish gear. Every now and then I have help which speeds things up but really as long as it's braced on the way what is the rush? And yes use sway preventers on the boom as well for safety. If you want to look at another photo there is one of me raising my mast on page 1 of the thread "Splicing two mast halves together?" a couple of pages back for spirit wolf.

8. taezow

taezow Junior Member

Good pictures I thank you both.
    Is there a lot of tension on the guys holding the boom from flopping?
    Looks like they will take lots of adjustment. Get too loose no biggy but if they get too tight it could break something.

Not sure I have all the riging I will need. The last guy who sailed the boat, died, I'm guessing he was doing a refit because I have no winches.

9. cavalier mk2

There is not much tension on any of the guys unless something is going wrong. It does take a fair amount of adjusting. I raise a little then make the round of the guys taking in or letting out as required then repeat. For your winch question I think you should look around for some used ones. I don't think you'll fly your genoa in 20 knots of wind but if you do you will probably want a 2 speed. You might be able to get by with one for both. For the extra tackle like wise. I use my running back tackle, vang , mainsheet system, barber haulers-in short whatever you can grab or borrow! Speaking of use what you find in the picture I'm using an appropriately sized tree section instead of the boom.

10. Richard Woods

You don't need to adjust the support stays at all providing they are exactly in line with the mast step pivot (and from your photo I guess they are)

Years ago someone asked me how he could raise his mast singlehanded. I was telling him about having a guy in each corner when he stopped me and said "No I want to do it singlehanded, I don't want four guys to help me"

11. cavalier mk2

Truth is stranger, and more funny, than fiction .....:The Searunners are rigged with the stay position in line on the cabintop so there is one less set of tackle. The height difference with my stays at deck level on the Nicol mean a little extra work.

12. taezow

taezow Junior Member

Woot the mast is up!
    I used my wall jack but never again. When it comes time to lower it I will use the boom trick.

I have no winches at this point. When I go to lower the mast I'll use one winch to lower it, one to stabalise the boom and the the main sheet block on the other side of the boom.

I think the last guy who sailed this boat added a roadster top to cover the cockpit. In doing so he removed the winches and the travelers for the jib fairleads. He died so he never finished the project.

I really wanted the mast up and amas on, so I can go through all of the systems, to make sure it is sound and I know what everything is for. It makes things a little tough not haveing the previous owner to help and buying the boat in pieces.

Thanks for all the help. Even though I did not use your mast raising system this time, I will use it from now on. My way really sucked :mad: My legs were shacking so bad with fear that I had to stop several time so that I did not fall down. My mind would say "this is OK" but my body would not listen :D

Thanks again,

mast more 001.JPG
    mast more 004.JPG

13. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I always wanted to do it Richard's way, but am worrried about the shear loads on the mast step. I do it on small tris with H18 type rig with a sub mast. I hav a 2x4 with spreaders that I place ahead of the step and lash on with yellow rope. Then I find the ballance point of the spar and winch it up while tailing one end. But it's a two person job so nuts to that. Just did this the other day so the memory is still live.

This is another way, L7 style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiRGgagiHdY

14. cavalier mk2

I put a pivot onto my mast heel when I rebuilt the mast to make it easier but using the boom as a gin pole cuts way back on the sheer loads anyway because of the improved angle.

15. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

what if your mast does not pivot?

All,
    Just stumbled on this thread, this happens to be a topic I have been thinking about while it is snowing outside. Most videos/pictures that I have seen of mast raising are with masts that have a pivot point at the base.

How would you safely raise a mast that does not have a pivot point? I have thought of placing a sleeve that could pivot on the base of the mast, then remove when vertical....

Thanks for any/all responses.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.