manta trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by guzzis3, Apr 10, 2012.

1. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I tried some American beer once your right it's revolting !

Cept for Sierra Nevada :)

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Its enough to incite a rebellion, and to rub it in they taxed the tea to force us to drink it! Thank goodness freedom brought us microbrews!

3. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Hysterical. :D

Many years ago when newsgroups were still popular I read one soc.culture.australia.

From time to time people would try to whip up an argument by "insulting" us. Whatever they called us or said about us the australians on the group would just respond: yep, about right...

There were however 2 things that would always start a flame war that would last months, and it worked every time.

Which is the best beer

What do you call 24 cans of beer

We have priorities. They might not be the right priorities, but we have them...

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Have any of you guys ever sailed a Telstar?,i sailed one down the gulf coast of Florida about 3 yrs ago from the panhandle to Key West, unbelievable underwing slamming (i had the misfortune of snagging one of the wing berths and it was like being kidney punched. Other than that i liked the boat.

Steve.

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

No, they are really rare here in aus.

Fair point about the slamming. A lot of multis suffer the same problem, guess that's why they went to nets on tris. and higher bridgedecks on cats (except the designers who didn't get the memo..)

The accomodations are not ideal either. What I like about telstars though is the V hulls and that cockpit. Always thought that was a superb design.

I'd rather an F32, but haven't seen one for sale under $150k. :)

There is a lex nicol tri for $38k at the moment. Been on the market a while. 36' airex aluminium space frame. A lot of boat for the money.

http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12033638

6. cavalier mk2

I wonder if it wasn't overloaded....haven't really heard much about that boat slamming.

Sheaf Stout is a great brew....

The nets came with beam but if the beams are too low they'll still slam and slow down the boat.

The Lex Nicol would be fast....

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

It has enormous cheeks, I suspect they would slow it in a seaway.

Hedley Nicol's boats are legendary and Lex seemed to follow suit. Lots of race wins.

I continue to be astounded that this hasn't sold:

http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11657591

It must be double diagonal I'd say ?

Looks like the gypsy sold, at $19500 asking price it HAD to...

Telstars have crossed the atlantic I believe. Maybe Steve W was experience a shorter choppier water rather than longer ocean waves ? but there was certainly a reason tri designers moved away form hard side decks.

Dunno. Anyway the manta is a moot point unless the owner (or someone) confirms it folds to less than 8'2".

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I dont know what happened with that Hedley Nicol Tri at one point it was for sail at $17,000 and it said in the ad that the main hull had suffered severe damage after going aground. Then a little while later it shows up at $27,000 like nothing had happened. Weird and I'd want to look at it carefully before I started splashing out the hard earned.

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Was that the same boat ? I thought I saw it at 12. I remember (and my memory is far from perfect) that it appeared stripped internally when it was damaged ? Thus I had assumed they were different boats.

The grounded boat was missing a chunk up to the water line about 6-8' long and 2 - 3' wide. Looked like it'd hit a big sharp rock and full tilt.

I had thought after it disappeared that if you could cast a solid glass section up to the waterline and leave the DD or whatever it is above that would actually be a good outcome. The glass would hopefully inhibit rot to some extent (although rot is often rain not salty seawater).

Anyway as you say even at that price a survey would be money well spent.

Hm.

10. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

I believe the cheap one was Ben Bolt, not Devils 3 as listed above, both Lex Nicol designs

DAVE

11. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I _think_ we were discussing if it was the Hedley Nicol designed Kailani.

You shouldn't bother trying to keep up, I can't...:D

I don't know. With the J5 gone now I'm feeling boatless in a naked kind of way. Maybe I should have a look at Kailani. I mean, what's the harm ?....

Nice to see more people taking an interest in this thread. Has anyone an opinion on Kailani ? any history ?

12. cavalier mk2

The Hedley Nicol tri is a Cavalier and would be built double diagonal. The aluminum rudder addition I wouldn't have installed. For a large repair such as described it would be better to do a double diagonal repair/rebuild of the area using an extra temporary mold frame if required and scarf in new stringers. This isn't really that hard to do, Jeff turners Cross Website showed a repair on a collision damaged boat for an example. A large Nicol is a lot of boat, read the plans thread for ideas on what to look for and evaluate each one on its own merits as they are all individually built.

13. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

I looked at a Nicol about 3 years ago that I think was Kailani, she was then named Tringa and was advertised as a Vagabond design. I'm not certain that the 2 boats are the same but I have three pictures to compare the the pictures of Kailani at Boatpoint,

First picture shows the interior of "Tringa" notice the timber poles port and starboard and the gussets? attaching them to the roof stringers, also the offset hatchway, compare these to the interior picture of Kailani, identical I think,
    Tringa
    [​IMG]
    Kailani
    http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatpoint/boat/private/bp4945875564060718723.jpg

Second picture, notice the same timber poles, notice stereo location and also sliding windows on the sides of the cabins, again identical to me
    Tringa
    [​IMG]
    Kailani
    http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatpoint/boat/private/bp5506135649431896396.jpg

Third picture shows Tringas exterior at the time, same rig, same pullpit, so I could be wrong but I think Tringa became Kailani but I could be wrong.
    Tringa
    [​IMG]
    Kailani
    http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatpoint/boat/private/bp5498863832622503998.jpg

Anyway to the point :rolleyes: at the time I was not very impressed with Tringas condition, and a surveyor told me to run fast which I did. Starboard float bow had been "broken" off and repaired (grey patch), large rot repairs on stbd side of the main hull, both floats had lots of water in them, also original construction was not epoxy, (balcotan glue plus Polyester sheathing I believe) Kailani looks much better now but must have cost lots (time and money) to get up to a standard I would be happy to take to sea.

Anyway, this is all speculation as I'm not certain Kailani was Tringa, pretty sure tho ;)

DAVE

14. cavalier mk2

I'm pretty sure its a Cavalier from looking at the sellers photos, there is more freeboard than a Vagabond a seller will call a boat by what he thinks will sell! I can tell you the Vagabond MK2 plans only came with the sloop rig because the amas are built lighter and the Cavalier ketch was stayed off the ama transoms, look at the Nicol plans thread drawings and squint at the photos for comparison. an easy check is the stringer size and ama scantlings but anyone really interested can take a few freeboard measurements and I'll tell you. In any case it does look like the same boat.

15. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Thank you both very much for the comments! Really helpful.

If I bought anything at all like that I'd be wanting a proper survey done. $25k may seem like not a lot of money, but if you buy a dud it can become a monumental money pit really quickly.

The owner of the manta has replied and said he measured about 8' across the hinges. It makes sense they would narrow a telstar to fit our trailering rules.

I don't know. As usual I'm of many minds on what to get next. The manta seems in good condition but I'd have to modify the interior to suit our needs and I'm not sure about the price. I guess it's impossible to put a price on a near unique boat.

Sigh.

Anyway thank you again, really helpful.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.