Mainsail track setup or Mainsail "V" setup?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kelldog, Mar 24, 2010.

1. kelldog

kelldog Junior Member

Hello All;
    I have a V mainsheet configuration that is attatched to the rear crossbeam of my Cross Tri. I am thinking about a track setup across the cabin top. What are the advantages ofthe V setup vs Track? Vice Versa?
    thank you for your input...

Kelly.

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The advantage of a track set up is the ability to let the sail in and out with the track while the main sheet controls the twist. If you have a V set up you need a vang to control twist. I suppose the V advantage is lower cost and less weight ( I have one and I'm trying to cheer myself up). The best track set up would be in an arc so you wouldn't have to ease the mainsheet adjustment.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I'd think long and hard before switching if you have room for a vang, for reasons of cost alone. But if you have money, how easily could a curved track cover the whole spectrum of sail positions, given that most multis tack downwind anyway, and tris also have very wide cabin tops?

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

A cabintop midboom track/traveler could be shorter than a endboom system and you could use the traveler controls as a preventer. If it isn't long enough you'll need a vang anyway. Mine re rigs as a preventer. The other thing to make sure of is that the cabintop is up for the vertical loads. A Cross is pretty strong but proper backing and tying into some bulkheads will be necessary. A gale is a lousy time to find out you have a convertible!

5. kelldog

kelldog Junior Member

Thanks Cavalier mk2 and Alan for the replies.
    I am looking at a flexible boom vang for boom.

"The other thing to make sure of is that the cabintop is up for the vertical loads. A Cross is pretty strong but proper backing and tying into some bulkheads will be necessary. A gale is a lousy time to find out you have a convertible!"

Heh heh...indeed. I would use backing plates on cabintop. I am also considering put the track on the beam right before cabin entrance. I had this set up on my Piver Nimble and it made it very easy to work the main. Of course it was somewhat in the way for getting in and out of cabin whilesailing. Trade-offs :/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.