looking for a well shaped catamaran hull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by smartcat, Mar 14, 2016.

1. smartcat

smartcat Junior Member

The photos of the model above show to waterline=tabletop. I ad sketches of the wet area. My fear is that it is too small at the foreship, althoug the lateral area must be right and the center of buoyance too.
    Any good advices?

Attached Files:

2. Mani Kandasa

Mani Kandasa Junior Member

I can do a CFD analysis of your hull shape for resistance, stability and sea-keeping if you think it would help.

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I think I see your concern. Your maximum depth is far aft and the rocker results in a steep angle to the transom. Your hull is quite different than cats I have seen. I am wondering if the displacement volume shown corresponds to your expected weight distribution -is your boat much heavier in the rear? Is that the line it would float on?

Fast cats tend to have more volume forward for diagonal stability and the ability to carry very tall sail plans. Slow cats tend to have more volume forward so they aim up over waves.

4. smartcat

smartcat Junior Member

Thank you, that sounds great! I had a short look at CFD at wiki. I know, I don't understand it myself. So it is good to have some help. What kind of data would you need for this job? Wouldn't it be that way: to compare different shapes for the best choice?

Michael

5. Mani Kandasa

Mani Kandasa Junior Member

I would need the hull geometry data, displacement, center of buoyancy, and design speed for the calm water resistance simulations. For the stability and sea-keeping simulations, I'd need additional mass properties to calculate the pitch and roll radii of gyration and the expected sea-states as well. For the geometry, IGES or STEP file format would be best if you have it. If not, we can figure out a way to convert it. And yes, once we have the calculations for the baseline geometry, we can modify it to compare different shapes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.