Long term survival boat ideas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mmutch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Unfortunatly, I spent the last few decades learning how to drink beer...I never learned how to make it.

Things are looking bad...real bad

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Apparently it is easy to make from the kits that are carried in Woolworths here in Australia - - - Everything needed , just wash the utensils and containers, (supplied), add the yeast and other ingredients, (supplied), to the water, (PURE from your RO water-maker), and follow the instructions supplied on a simple little leaflet offering several styles of brew for you to assess...

I am assuming you would drink it and avoid the hassle of bottling? - - Maybe a walk in refrigerator to meet the demand from fellow boaties - - - A chance to make a profitable business that will help to keep your boat afloat in these difficult times...

Remember, water is at least 62cents/litre and non-alcoholic ginger beer is about Au$4 per litre so good batches of alcoholic home brew beer must be selling for more than that... - I don't buy beer so I do not know?

3. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Home brewing is good fun!! All manner of kits available for a faster/easier process or brew all grain - which is a bit of a process but very rewarding.
    Not only beer but ciders, wines and other berry or fruit concoctions.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sounds good but The problem with being a High Plains Drifter is that Ive never lived in a house in my adult life.

A Beer Still would be clumsy on the boat.

Ill just have to bite the bullet and drink at the bar.

Besides, on the boat I have no Bar stool and Big screen TV

5. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Can't help the barstool or the bar but no still - can ferment in a 22litre bucket.
    Good survival food too - lots of calories and carbs.... As long as not overdone!

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

every ancient and modern culture has had beer, and most other forms of adult beverages too. It is easier now with so much information available, no reason you could not make it on your boat.

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I've become concerned about beer ever since the evidence of digestive problems caused by hybridized wheat and grains so take natural strains with the home brew kit on your boats.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Then buy your kit where there is NO GM barley or wheat or hops, like parts of Europe (France)? or Australia where it is not GM yet? OR Tasmania where they still grow? hops? - well they used to :eek: :eek:

ELSE get used to drinking or brewing "chemical" beers like Australia's beer for dyslectics (XXXX beer)...

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its so cheap here Im not going to start making it.

Skol is brewed from rice --im told --- its getting very popular and is cheapest.

10. cavalier mk2

I thought I'd make the stove fuel dual purpose.....

11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I think you can make beer out of just about anything Cav, pumkin, potato, may be even kelp.Otter brew:idea:. Rick

12. cavalier mk2

I think I need to wash out a bucket and go to work Rick, thanks for the idea :)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Well my boat is still there and will be fully operational once the king tide lifts it on to a friendly sandbar and we can insert the rebuilt rudder and re-assemble the steering system... Any Buyers? offers approaching Au$350K would be appreciated... The Doomsayers were WRONG AGAIN, but the survival boat is still a useful thread as no one has addressed the event of no more cheap fuel from the global oil wells - - - - - - Therefore what about plastic for the dacron and other sailmaking materials, modern ropes, and all those other derived products :eek: - - I can run on CNO and use hemp sailcloth and hemp ropes... What about you?

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mas im sorry but your price is way out. There is a 2003 46 Fontiane behind me all set up and running, they are asking---asking---200,000 Euros.

I dont wish to stick the boot in but if you realy want to sell it your price needs to be realistic or your just wasting time.

And a 2006 42 Africat power cat with twin 315 here in the Marina for 325.

You need another 150,000 on mast and deck gear!!!

15. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Not beer

You can make alcohol from just about anything.

Beer needs Barley(malt), hops, and yeast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.