Lock Crowther 1962 Kraken 25 trimaran build and rebuild log

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jun 7, 2011.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Lookin' good Corley. It should turn out much lighter than the original. :D

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Great to see you're making progress! Can't wait to see her sail.... The boat impressed me from a young age.

3. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Looks good! Nice to see ya cracking at it. And you can never have enough clamps! Haha as I'm finishing up some home projects round here everytime my saw is out I whip out some clamp parts. I hunted round for the easiest plans and settled on the kind where you just whip out matching vices that fit on simple cheap metal conduit, and a simple cam wedge cinch. That way they can be big and small as you can make it, can even make them double ended or even a triple. Even came up with my own mod where by I spot weld a compression connection( I know don't breath it in when you do this!) on one end of conduit and after cinch down you can wrench some serious clamping force into the setup. Anyway thanks for the inspiration looking good!

Barry

4. warwick

warwick Senior Member

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I fitted the first section of Oregon gunwale strip over the weekend. I intend to scarph it in situ to another length that will run to the bow settled on an 8 to 1 scarph which should be adequate for this situation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Looking good!

Barry

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A little update I've set and scarphed both gunnel strips now and trimmed the veneers flush. The inside of the hull has been sanded to remove the epoxy blobs from the molding. The next job is to fit the deck jig and join the hulls on the inside with thickened epoxy and double bias glass.

Attached Files:

8. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Coming along! After pour what toes together points of two pieces there up front?

Barry

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The strips actually don't join they are just tapered back from the bow. the deck holds that section together. I'll just laminate some timber in that area and epoxy it together to form a backing for the forestay fitting. I like the look of the sheerline coming to a point there than tapering back down just an aesthetic rather than a practical choice.

10. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Makes sense to me! Nice clean edge is always cleaner looking and tends to get snubbed less on things(docks, tree's, other boats!) Just wasn't sure if it was a case of a poured keel still needs a mock up part there or something, or if you were planning a extension of some kind for stay or future prodder or something. Also I wouldn't like the look of it, but thinking as I write, a small front section of keel would offer beach protection. But then so would some metal I suppose.

Barry

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The original had a bronze strip nailed into the keelson. I wont do that though I'm thinking some sort of low profile sacrificial fiberglass strip glued to the surface of the hull with polyurethane sealer/adhesive that can be removed and replaced when it wears out. The floats don't really need any protection since the main hull is so much deeper.

12. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

You could always capture some brass inserts in pour? And yeah anything outside that's throw away. Buddy used to just get cheap aluminum angle that was beat flatter to fit canoe for dragging. Aluminm not ideal but he could swap it out every 6 months as cheap as it is

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The aluminium sounds like a good idea I'm going to use a trolley to move the boat on the beach and certainly wont be beaching hard with this boat.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Corley, looks great! You must be starting to get excited?

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm getting excited, I'll do a mockup of the hulls and crossbeams when the main hull is structurally complete. That will be cool :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.