Guest625101138
Previous Member
- Joined
- Jan 20, 2007
- Posts
- 0
- Reaction score
- 84
Stefano
It looked like there was no obvious torque carrying section. I can see it would certainly load up the window frames.
Car designers even have trouble resolving torque in car bodies and these are more compact structures than a boat. I had one car that creaked each time it was driven at an angle through a spoon drain. I was told that a particularly ford model would pop the front windscreen if driven with a bit of speed at an angle across a drain.
I have had experience with a planing monohull splitting along the keel line due to poorly resolved torsional loads from quartering seas so it is something I am sensitive about. A split along the keel is not very obvious but it will let in lots of water.
I have also seen many problems in steel machine structures that are poorly designed to resolve torsion.
A good test is to support the stern of one hull and the bow of the other and see how far the two hulls rotate relative to each other. Also listen for any obvious stress relieving.
From numbers I have done on small cats I find you only need a single cross brace if it is adequate for the torsional loads. Might need minor cross beams to support tramps or deck but a single major beam will carry all the primary loads. Needs to be well fixed to the hulls of course. A bridge with lots of big openings is not very good for resolving the torsion.
Rick W
It looked like there was no obvious torque carrying section. I can see it would certainly load up the window frames.
Car designers even have trouble resolving torque in car bodies and these are more compact structures than a boat. I had one car that creaked each time it was driven at an angle through a spoon drain. I was told that a particularly ford model would pop the front windscreen if driven with a bit of speed at an angle across a drain.
I have had experience with a planing monohull splitting along the keel line due to poorly resolved torsional loads from quartering seas so it is something I am sensitive about. A split along the keel is not very obvious but it will let in lots of water.
I have also seen many problems in steel machine structures that are poorly designed to resolve torsion.
A good test is to support the stern of one hull and the bow of the other and see how far the two hulls rotate relative to each other. Also listen for any obvious stress relieving.
From numbers I have done on small cats I find you only need a single cross brace if it is adequate for the torsional loads. Might need minor cross beams to support tramps or deck but a single major beam will carry all the primary loads. Needs to be well fixed to the hulls of course. A bridge with lots of big openings is not very good for resolving the torsion.
Rick W