Launch of the latest Ultime trimaran Macif

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Future of Lending Club 2....

BP committed itself already in 02/2015, Corley. See press release...
    http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr...gement-dans-la-voile-jusqu-en-2020-10522.html

Here in English on Daily Sail
    http://www.thedailysail.com/offshor...mmit-to-another-five-years-and-a-new-maxi-tri

After the success of Tri Bank Populair V (having been sold in 2013 to Donna Bertarelli and renamed as Spindrift) it seems the (marketing) chiefs all front Ronan Lucas (team director) like to continue...

AFP concretly has reported about new Bank Populair IX in February...
    http://www.francetvsport.fr/voile/r...la-construction-de-banque-populaire-ix-266607

This new maxi will be launched in 2017 and shall race first time in 2018... still some time to go. :)

Can imagine that. Seems Renaud got infected by the Tri virus, hm ?

With three new records in the pocket it was one of the most successfully "short term" sailing campaigns (only 6 months duration) the world ever has seen. Excellently done with skipper Ryan Breymaier (and co-skipper Renaud Laplanche). The payback in media values was tremendously... much better than every expensive 30 second advertising clip on an international TV network.

Summary of these intensive 6 months in this very emotoinally vid...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXaWfK3ptkE

Lending Club 2 is already overhanded since July to Francis Joyon. - He targets at a new round the world record with the Jules Verne Trophy whom we know from 2nd place during Route de Rhum on Maxi Tri IDEC 2.

Probably we will see very, very soon Lending Club 2 in new IDEC design colours... as announced by press release on 17th Sept 2015...
    [​IMG]

A real powerful beauty... good to know she keeps racing (after her launch in 2006 as Groupama 3 and later known as Bank Populair VII). It will be interesting to see what kind of modifications she got over last two months.
    [​IMG]

Some first blury snaps are out with demounted rig...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks Skip, I'm well aware of the previous announcement of Banque Populaire IX but this was the first press release I've seen that had a more fixed time frame. These projects have a long gestation I recall reading an article by Pascal Bidegorry in the late nineties and back then he was discussing the project that would become Banque Populaire V.

3. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

big puzzle of Sport sponsoring business

Let me check if this article is already/still available in the web archive. :)

Yes, very typically... from my experiences in strategic marketing consulting I had to learn this with the big concerns. Their marketing plannings go over 10 years, very often. - E.g. in Food industries and many other segments of consumer products the design of new food targets at establishing the product earlierst after 10 years.

So lets say hypotetically spoken: if today a new "Mars chocolate bar" is introduced with a very new flavour taste, these companies think about a profitable return on investment dominating the regoinal market earlierst in 2025... as they know that then they have educated the new growing up generation of consumers as seriously and stable customers. Thats why most of us adults still love Nutella and still buy/eat it.

Sport marketing and sport sponsorship is a very hard and brutal business... when I initiated in 1994/1995 an own Whitebread campaign for participating in 1997... We were very close singing the contract with a big sponsor (global brand) to deal an excellent budget for a two boat campaign. - We failed shortly before the given deadline to contract because Whitbread headquarter didnt deliver us the media coverage for Poland.
    That time this was the most important "new market" to enter into by this sponsor. So no contract, no 2 boat campaign. Seeing then all the lucky skippers from far distance in 1997/1998 sailing over the start line in a two boat campaign, e.g. young guys like Knut Frostad with Innovation Kværner and Paul Cayard with "EF" (language school in UK) racing around the world.
    [​IMG]

Its a huge puzzle this business... one little piece in the wrong place, at the wrong time.. no deal. The marketing chiefs and product managers of the companies are very strictly in this. It needs lots of luck, not just knowlege.

Before the 90th it was a very easy going business.... one just needed to meet the company owner on the golf or tennis court, doing little bit chit-chat to evoke his passion for sail racing and so long the chemistry between both was OK quickly the deal was done by individually decisions. From that time we know big AC campaigns like Ted Turner did. These guys didnt ask their marketing CEOs, they just decided it.

But all that it has changed dramatically and drastically in the 90th. It needed an excellent project team to establish sponsorships in sail racing... and a huge sum of pre-financing out of own pocket. The sponsors nowadays just buy in the fully package (from boat building to media coverage/services).

Paul Cayard had recognized this very early... and till today - with his own marketing company "Cayard Sailing" - he is excellently positioned in sail racing since nearby 2 decades. - Lucky man he is, beside being gifted as an extra ordinary talent as sailor ! :)

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In that first video where the (tired) guy is laying on the table he is definitely complaining about the price of the items, late deliveries, poor service, the poor state of the economy, strikes, and how it slowed production with years.

I tried to translate but it doesn't fit Greek, to me it sounds like Greek. But then the Greeks doesn't build boats.

Nice colors and lines, but I see nothing new. Perhaps the design around the same old same old got saturated and it has become a matter of bragging with yet again enough money to build another. Who knows, perhaps this skipper will have a bit more skill to perform better ? Then the (same) design would be better, right ?

I get the impression these boats gets built in a box and they create their own boundaries and limitations. Surely we have just begun to explore the vast capabilities... ?

Well, until the next bloke comes up with this now why did we not think of that before idea that will be hugely opposed everywhere until it takes on... and kick butt, and then all these expensive toys will have sour owners.

Just thinking out loud.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Macif

Thanks, Corley-looks a bit weird-short and a reverse curve on the "vertical" portion. Can't wait to see it lifting the whole boat:

[​IMG]

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I don't think the French can speak French themselves. I think they make those blabbering mumbling noises so that someone think they speak.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Mise en gard. Ne marchez pas sur la ligne.

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A photo from Ultim Boat showing the float and foil setup on Macif. Also a video on Dailymotion showing the reconfigured Macif in action at 30 knots. http://dai.ly/x41k4z6

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Macif

No flying?! Oh, well-sooner or later.....

12. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

Welcome in the real world !

;)

pogo

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Macif

Riiight.... The boat has foils designed to allow it to fly 100% in the right conditions. It is a full flying foiler, get it?

14. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

Quite a boat. With foils that far forward, they seem to be setup for skimming mode. 30kn across the bottom in 19kn of breeze. I have no idea how someone can single–hand one of these around the world, sleep must only come through sheer exhaustion.

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

These are not some sporadic hop and jerk toy boat models in some sheltered backwater.
    Tripping a la the AC72s, burying bows and arse-ing or near arse-ing over with fashionable near central foil position, would be even more embarrassing far offshore in a large seaway and hundreds of miles miles from harbour-borne support boats ... or overfed boffins in waders in the case of toy models.
    Hence the more sensible and intelligent forward foil positioning.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.