Largest Port holes or window size in cat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Guest1578132542, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I do have that book, though I forget the argument... Most of the people reading it seem to be designing software :)

I think the vernacular thing is part of the trap here. They are concerned with different relationships to the comunity and architectural tradition than informed say the Philip Johnson ‘Glass House’, or the average multihull. And anyway, the average aray of small windows isn't going to look the same in devided lights as on a multi, unless one makes a big set of master and commander windows across the back or some such. :) Speaking of which, I always liked TC's windows, though I don't know much about how they would work in an ultimate storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCkO_RtPIo&feature=player_embedded#!

2. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Nice video.

I took the book to be a compilation or cataloguing of human reactions to the spaces they occupy. It might not translate to boats; I don't know. But I see some of these patterns as applying.

One example that occurs to me was a mention in one of Thomas Firth Jones' books regarding deck space on a cat. He was from the school who feels that at least in the case of small cats, nothing you could put between the hulls would be as nice and contribute to comfort as much as an open deck. At any rate, he talked about how his earlier cats, which were a Wharram Hinemoa, and a modified Tane and which were narrower than is standard practice these days, didn't have enough deck space, even though the decks are pretty palatial compared to monohulls. His own later designs were a lot beamier, so that there was a much wider center deck. He said not only was there space, there was circulation, and he was using an architectural term of art there. One of the patterns listed in the book concerns porches. Porches must be at least 6 feet deep or they will not be used.

In the case of windows, I'm not advocating standard 12 light mullions aboard. But a big port divided into a number of small lights might be very attractive, and could be made much stronger structurally.

Another window pattern most boats violate is that the frames of windows, for greatest beauty, should appear to be an integral thickening of the wall membrane. Instead, a lot of lights are simply bedded and screwed onto the exterior surfaces, with aluminum trim to hide the raw edges.

If you've ever been aboard an ancient wooden yacht that has been lovingly maintained for generations, you can see some of these patterns in the flesh. I'm not sure it's a coincidence.

Anyway, should I ever draw a big cruising multi, I plan to reread the book before settling on the interior arrangements.

3. sailsocal

sailsocal Junior Member

Richard, can you comment on the practicality and cost of installing windows on non-planar hull and deck areas? Most boats seem to use only flat glass/plexi for windows, but I have seen a few boats with complex curved forms, for example:

http://www.yachtingworld.com/galleries/more/28184/1/0/murtic-52-test#slideshow

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Dung Beetle,
    Have a look at my build, By using a bridgedeck saloon in the style that you may recognise in the Lagoon 40 production charter boats, I will have a light and well lit interior with vertical cabin-top fixed windows, lots of ventilation controlled by 'vents' under the brow forward and several forward and aft hatches, I opted to NOT HAVE any portholes in the hull sides as the hulls contain toilets, berths and laundry, - well lit and ventilated but private as a live-aboard should be and I should be under 5 tonnes cruising weight (5000kg) as opposed to more than 10 tons for the lagoon of same overall dimensions...

Have a look at my website of build progress (she is almost complete) and will be my permanent home... I plan to cruise the Great barrier Reef up the Queensland coast, thence across to PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonie and NZ... My website is http://boats-n-stuff.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,2.new.html#new which will point to the 19the page at the moment and follows on from the build progress - the early stages - on BD.NET - "My little piece of peace"...

To see the images you will need to register providing a working email address, your preferred user-name and password to gain access (similar to here)....

I am not into racing but she will hose off any Lagoon 40 with ease in wind of less than 20knots across the deck... (80 to 95 square metres of standard sail area)

5. masalai
    same here, the cat is going to be my permanent home

will start building bits for a kit for it in the next month.

i'm building a floating motel though

(too many people sell the cat after 3 years and go back to land. this is going to be my permanent home

i've always liked the orams flat hulls, i believe this to be a major factor in their handicap ratings

are you finished yet?

do you mind if drop in one day and come and have a look?

thanks,
    mal

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi DB,
    Not far off - Things are slowed a bit since I broke my hip in 12th last month, but should be starting to learn to walk again in 2 to 3 weeks... Wheelchairs can be a bit of fun to start but mostly a bloody cumbersome prison...

Internal and external paint, cleats, a few strong-points more on the deck for anchor winch and sheet-blocks & clutches, then fit the engines and lay the steering & engine control plumbing to go (well that is the big-picture) but not the whole story :D

I have an aft mast (about 10 feet further aft from design original) and the rig will be "Hitch-hiker" as per John Hitches "X-IT" which is for sale now (see The Coastal Passage website http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/multihulls.html

Build is near the mouth of the Caboolture River in the suburb of Burpengary, Brisbane - you are welcome - I hope to launch in a couple of months?...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.