Kurt Hughes 23' daysailor trimaran updated

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Kurt's description of the 23' daysailor trimaran update is here:

I finally got the first run of modeling the updated 23 daysail trimaran. Version B will have ama rudders and the even hotter version C will have foils. It is a developed plywood/epoxy unit with core vacuum bagged onto the flat surfaces needing that. And carbon fiber where it helps. At around 360 kg lightship weight, it can be built for around $5000 us in construction materials. The connecting beams should be carbon mast sections. The camper version comes next.

If you use Facebook the link is:

https://www.facebook.com/kurt.hughes.54/posts/10155025470243628?pnref=story

Kurt has also been updating a few of his trimaran and cat models lately. With a new 27' trailerable catamaran an update of the DF31 trimaran and a sleek new cruiser/racer 35' trimaran.

http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/kurt-hughes-sailing-designs-updates-on.html

Attached Files:

2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Thank you for the post.

His stuff is always really interesting but too performance oriented for me.

The 27' cat is most of interest to me but it looks like it's about 5'6" headroom in a 27' boat. I do wonder though how wide the bunks are. That cabin offers the potential for some nice width there and in the galley etc...

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

23' daysailer

Thanks for the info-good looking boat! Big amas........

4. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

the "developed plywood/epoxy" aspect mentioned above... is that the same as the traditional KHSD cylinder molding ???

Or some new twists added???

Thanks,

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Yes, it's cylinder molded I gather from what he has said he is advocating vac bagging core on the inside of the hull rather than stringers for panel stiffness. It probably only needs it in certain areas not the whole hull surface.

On my F40 project I've planned around only doing core in the main hull and stringers in the floats you arrive in a similar place in regards to panel stiffness by a different method but having a clean interior in the main hull is most beneficial.

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.