Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 01-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Vantage475T

Rep: 10 Posts: 29
Test mounting the floats

So now the tramp is roughly in place, onto getting the floats mounted.

Plan is to have a thick piece of ply with some bolts embedded from the underside stickup in and then going through the ally baseplate.

The ply will be screwed and then epoxied in place once the right position is sorted.

Initially I attached it so the floats line up with the main hull, but after dropping it in the water and just trolling it around I thought there was too much overhang at teh front and the weight distribution wasn't right. I therefore moved it forward 50cm so it is currently sticking out behind the main hull a bit now. I will take off the last 50cm section and seal the bulkhead there and make the other outrigger 4.25m.

The slots cut in the aluminium plate now mean the frame can be put in place and the float just lifted into place even single handed. I need to keep it all collapsible for easy transporting back and forth in pieces at the moment.

The crossbeams now have choppping board spacers underneath and on one side to make it easier to slide it in and out. As soon as I can find the right thickness chopping board i will take those off and put them all four sides.

In the background of the float plate picture inside my office is a wooden boar - my wife wants to have pigs and goats so I sugegsted we ahve some wooden ones for the moment...

When I am putting the next coat of epoxy on the outrigger I will get that coated as well.
Attached Thumbnails
ISO Skiffmaran-testing-float-mount-placement.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-front-view-float-test-mount.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-mounting-plate-connect-frame-outrigger.jpg  

ISO Skiffmaran-float-attachment-plate.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Vantage475T

Nemesis floats

The boat is going to be called Nemesis.

it was a lovely day (cold but sunny) and thought we would pop it in the water as is to get an idea of the float heightand see how it goes together.

Also wanted to test the electric trolling motor so this was perfect - no wind at all.

So first pic gives idea of floats as originally fitted - there is too much forward of the front crossbeam and the eight distribution is a bit front heavy. The final frame will actually be bent ally tube that will stick further forward giving more support to the front of the float. I've now moved it back 50cm and is much better.

Then we can see my wife sitting in the trampoline and the floats easily taking her very small weight. Her bottom is not as large as the picture suggests... The trampoline was held by the old gazebo bungees which are very stretchy. Since then we have lashed the trampoline on with 3mm line and it works pretty well with very little sag.

Next there is the boat being held pretty well perfectly upright. The flaots are a few inches out of the water, so when going along on we should always have one float of out the water. I think the down tubes need slightly lengthening though, so looking at possibly adding 2-3 inches up front and 1-2 inches at the rear. Will see once we get it going.

Finally then we have a picture of me testing the trolling motor which worked really well. Using an old motorbike battery, I pottered about quite nicely. I will probably keep a couple of these with me and wire them in parallel for emergencies. Need to look at the weight / power benefots of a car battery.

The shaft on the trolling motor needs to be shortened hugely and then I will work out a mounting option on the rear crossbeam. The motor can be kept up front out of the way on the other side from the spinnaker shute and just brought out as needed.

I will need to make up a waterproof box then fix the wiring along the beams so the engine can be quickly dropped into place as required.

So everything looks good, a few updates and then next daywe get any decent weather/tides/wind we can hopefully hop out and give it a try.

Can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails
ISO Skiffmaran-floats-too-far-forward.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-sinking-trampoline-but-floats.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-showing-dihedral.jpg  

ISO Skiffmaran-trolling-around.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 AM
Vantage475T

Test sail in Mudeford harbour

So, having changed the float position, lashed on the trampoline with line weather looked great with a little bit of wind, nice and sunny - although nad chillingly cold. Scraped an inch of ice off the car, loaded up all the crap and headed off.

Rivetted the tramp frame back together when we arrived and got putting things together. The chopping board spacers worked much better fitting the crossbeams and not having the float attached made it very light work. then attaching the float was really easy slotting it into place then just tightening up the wingnuts.

Popped the trolling motor and 2 old motorbike batteries in got rigging the sails. Using 2 really old sails - both main jib are pretty well toast but still give decent traction.

I intended to keep the main sail loose to keep power down but in the excitement of getting on the water hadn't either got the sail all the way up or even put on the dowhaul. I finally noticed about 5 minutes in when we had started a reach down the main channel. We simply turned into wind and with my wife sitting on the tramp the platform was totally stable.

Sorted out the rigging and we were away.

In low wind with occasional small gusts we really moved nicely. Sitting in the tramp showed the basic dimensions are spot on - I can sit in it and brace my foot against the inner rail nicely and my wife found it comfortable and spacious.

The botched up tiller extension (taken off my kaymaran project and still with the rudder attachment on it is just about the right length. I will take a foot off it but need to get on with making the support cup so it can be left supported when on the other side as it managed to get caught inside the outer rail and got bent....

Plan is to use a sort of oarlock on the rear crossbeam that it can be dropped in. I will put some velcro over the top to ensure it can't bounce out. Thinking about the best way to lock the tiller for easy "autosteering" which will probably be velcro along the bottom of the tiller extension which can then drop into a second oarlock to hold things in place nice an easily.

For the placement of lines, the cleat for the jib sheets still works fine but when out on the tramp I cant lock off the main sheet so I will add a small cleat 1/3 of the way along the inner rail. It should be really easy to sail this single handed with some judicious placement of the cleat and with a long enough tiller extension I could actually potentially trapeze it as well single handed.

On that front, I need to replace the trapeze bungee - this will make a brilliant platform for my wife to contnue gaining confidence and timing with her trapezing skills. We didn't have the harness with us so only did a bit of hiking. We also need ot add some foot sraps on the tramp - we will put on some ratchet straps next time to get the placement right and see how that goes.

I think I will add a few inches to the vertical tubes on the outrigger as I think with both floats the dihedral will be a bit high.

There were a few other hardy souls out in single handers not sure what, but my wife really feels the cold so I knew we had to be very careful and after a few runs decided we should head in.

We had one comedy moment where I didn't ease the main sheet quickly enough when tacking but the additional righting moment of the outrigger slowed the tipping over considerably and we easily controlled it and scooted off.

Everything felt well balanced and the tacking was very easy still, no loss in manoeuvrability at all.

We will wait to dick about with the spinakker until it is warmer and we have the ther float on and sorted. I am considering changing the design of the float very slightly - taking the rear 50cm off and raising the rear height slightly - marginal extra weight while keeping the thin profil ebut adding a bit of extra volume. We will see once we are out in some more shop on the open water.

Otherwise, the biggest problem was the depth of the harbour. There is a winding channel going up to Christchurch but anywhere out side this we constantly ran aground and sent most of the time with the daggerboard partly / mostly up. Coming back in was nightmare as we couldn't have the rudder down and only a few inches of daggerboard and trying to go into wind against a strong current wanting to drag us out into the channel was not great.

I will get the motor mount sorted on the rear crossbeam so it is easy to pop it on and off if needed but mainly the plan is to get thee much earlier halfway after low tide so we can sail/troll out the entrance channel into the sea and have more room to playround while remaining close to shore. We can then come back in using the current to get back in as well as the wind (hopefully) or the trolling motor.

We can also look to trailer it elsewhere perhaps Lymington, Beaulieu River or over to Calshott which will probably end up being the best base once the back and forth is completed as we are straight out into the Solent and there are also some ISO's over that way I think.

I've attached a couple of photos and will gather some video clips from the footage we got so you can get an idea of the dynamics.

All in all really enjoyable and indicates the overall project shoud be great. I'll get onshortly with the next float and other frame so we can hopefully sail it lots this summer and get on with sorting the deisgn for the new main hull - broadly similar to the ISO but with the frame and beams all smoothly built in and some simple storage. Am looking at a simple foredeck as well to keep water off and provide a small area under cover. Plan is to do coastal trips an dpossibly camp with boom tent but realistically stay in a hotel or camp on the beach.

I will try and sort some video in the next couple of days but back now to chaos at work for the rest of this month.
Attached Thumbnails
ISO Skiffmaran-slow-float-height.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-sitting-tramp-low-speed.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-wake-out-back.jpg  

ISO Skiffmaran-hiking-while-reaching.jpg  ISO Skiffmaran-other-hardy-souls.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Vantage475T

Video of us carefully testing

Put together a few clips showing the boat moving along. We were taking it very carefully in case it exploded/fell apart/sank/whatever as it was stupidly cold and we are hopeless.

Shallow water so we could mostly have walked back in but that made it really painful as we couldn't get the daggerboard down and coming back in we had almost no rudder and centreboard and with the strong current wanting to drag us out into the channel t was tedious in the extreme.

We felt it went very well and it proves the basic dimensions are about right. I will make the next float slightly deeper at the back and slightly shorter I think. I will also extend the front vertical support to the float by a few inches as I think the balance isn't quite right.

Once all sorted and able to sail for the summer I will then get on with replacing the main hull with a similar size/shape but designed to be a trimarna from the outset although it will alos be sailable as a true dinghy as well with just some extension wings for hiking/trapezing if we want to.

I've uploaded a video to youtube, link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79a5qejTFY

so you can see how it goes.

We probably won't get out for a while now, but hopefully we will take the trapeze harness and give it more of a thrashing.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1362 Posts: 13,619
ISO Skiffmaran

Congratulations-looking real good!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:14 AM
Vantage475T

Next test

Had an hour after making some quick alterations:
- added cleat on frame for mainsail
- adjusted tramp frame to make easier getting on and but still needs some more work
- sorted electrics for electric trolling motor test
- looked to see how my neighbours 4 stoke 2.5hp could be fitted

The thing with the motor stuff is just down to narrow channel getting in an out of the harbour - it is easy to get stranded out and unable to get back in against the fast tide with unhelpful wind direction which is often.

Anyway, another freezing cold day with wind 16 knots but gusting up hugely as soon as we got out and th tide had turned so a really unpleasant chop in the tide with the wind exacerbating it.

We thrashed off and was quite a battle so decided to head in as my wife was struggling. As the tide was heading out the water level started to fall quickly and we got caught grounding out at about 10 knots with one of the many lumpy bits in Mudeford.

My wife got catapulted forward smacking her face on the ISO spaceframe and splitting her knee but kept going to ensure we got in and got everything away safely.

Her chin is black and blue.

We have clattered this daggerboard into multiple groundings and it the hull is very sturdy indeed.

We are hoping to move to lymington town sailing club in the spring so we can get out into the Solent easily with deep water so we can more easily tool about as getting very frustrated in Mudeford, even though it is a lovely place to scoot about.

We got no video or gps data unfortunately but we are very happy with the basic premise.

I am now going to get on with building the other side in February with some alterations to the float shape - shortening it slightly then adding some volume and changing the transom line.

I am also going to weld up the frame welded in its current state for ongoing testing before I commit to getting final framework made up.

I am getting the out tramp frame tube extended and curving down front and back vertically into the float. The crossbeams and inner longitudinal beam will then all be welded up as well so they are stackable on the boat and the tramps then won't need lacing up on the inner beam when adding as they do currently.

This will give us something we can thrash for the summer while I make the new main hull hopefully ready for next spring.