Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

While kites and boards are fun ways to go fast Hydroptere established her absolute speed record in winds of 25 gusting to 28 knots! That is efficiency that no board or kite can match......51.38 in 25 is TWO TIMES WIND SPEED!

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yes, Gary, I do gotta admit that the Hydrop is a pretty farkin' cool ride. Sometimes I just have to poke holes in the big old hot air balloon as it flies past the beach where I'm sailing. Call it twelve year old pranksterism, if you will.

As for foils... well, they've never been on the dunnage list as a function without an application. I flat-out loved watching Bora Gulari go toe to toe with Nathan Outteridge in the recent Moth World's, for example, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the times I have veen able to sail a Trifoiler and a Rave. Like any specialized, niche element within the sailing world, they have their place. No need to go into it any further than that, as it's now been well hashed.

The part of all this business between the kiters and the Hydrop team is really about the grand disparity of the total amount of cash that has been expended to get to this point in time. As in... Millions of Euro's piled up against only a few thousand. I gotta admit that more than once I had a sneaky suspicion that Hydroptere was really a shadowy government entity with a giant black project funding mechanism. ;-) Something like a rich dude's Death Star.

The kite guys, by comparison, were out there on something like one of my typical surf trips to Mexico with my old friends. An adventure where we lived on the cheap, ate street vendor taco meals and got by on clever timing and a desire to find the best waves. Something like a rattling Rebel X-Fighter.

It's more than interesting that such a chasm brought them both to the same place.

3. TTS

TTS Senior Member

Congrats to the whole Hydroptere team. They have truly put in the time, effort and research to make this happen. Cudos to them!

4. TTS

TTS Senior Member

You might also try Ben Hall at Hall Spars and dave Hubbard who helped him design his first wing for his A-cat. Fred Eaton who won the last I4C is also a great wealth of information. As for Steve, he is a member of this and many other sailing sites and he definately is one of the leading lights in this field. I do not know him personnally, but he has responded to some of my questions in the past with full knowledge about what he speaks. Good luck with your project. One other name does come to mind and that is Pete Melvin of Morelli & Melvin.

5. Jameswright4

Jameswright4 Junior Member

Thanks very much and for the quick reply.....the quest begins and will make contact with those suggested ! James

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

And that's where you and the vast majority of the sailors in this world diverge, Doug. Virtually nobody has the kind of cash that has been spent on L'Hydroptere. You can pull whatever self determined important bit of data from any pile of numbers you want.

In the end, the world will only watch Hydrop from a distance while a goodly portion of them rush down to the Kite Shop to spend their $5K of barely disposable income, thinking of the possible thrills that have been exhibited by Alex C.

In a global economy that is in as much trouble as is this one, which format do you think is the best use of one's money? Go back to your pile of numbers and conjure a solution in which the many millions of Hydrop Bucks equates to something... anything of value to the average sailor.

You know, the guy who reads these Forum postings and dreams of being on the water when he is able to get some cash in his hand.

If you were really into this on behalf of the typical sailing guy, you'd be honestly producing thrill per dollar ratios that make sense instead of worshipping the Gods of Unobtanium.

Take your time... we'll still be here.

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Oh dear, the feud rears its ugly head once more. It was nice for a while. Time to unsubscribe again.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I can hear George Berns now saying
    "now that's, entertainment"

and waving a cigar

1 person likes this.
  9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

The fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

Hydroptere,today, did 40 knots in 15 knots of wind-an amazing 2.67 times wind speed! News Flash (french site only) Records ratified!!!! www.hydroptere.com

10. offshoreguy

offshoreguy Junior Member

Congratulations! I would like see it in a race.

I see too much water movement, and the hull over the water seems to be heavy, it seems that there is still a lot of work to improve the design, so perhaps new records can be acomplished.

Do you think the system could be used in a safe way in commercial cruisers?

I said that because they go at about 20 knots that is higher than usual wind for classic design, but now things seems to be different !

11. Get Wet

Get Wet New Member

They also did it with a bermuda style sail rig... a jib and main. Obviously it's been tech'd out with a carbon wing mast ect, but it seems that sheer power and low hull drag has won out over double surface wing sails for the time being.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-Fastest Sailboat on the Planet

Thanks Jeff for updating this thread and the Moth thread with the new record/speeds!

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

Thanks to Gary for calling my attention to this: Hydroptere just did 50.17 knots over a nautical mile! Incredible!

Attached Files:

14. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Anyone remember two brothers who flew an ungainly overgrown box kite for a few dozen meters? Look where that ended up. Hydroptere may not be the practical boat for all purposes, but it is adding enormously to our pool of knowledge and experience.

Before our kids have put their kids through school, we are going to see large commercial craft using wind power again, but high tech, picking up queues from all of these kind of cutting edge boats. Like F1 race cars gave us disc brakes etc, these things will trickle through.

15. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Oops - that should read 'picking up cues' not 'queues'! ...that would involve standing round waiting for something to happen. Fruedian slip: when you say one thing and mean your mother.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.