Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

-----------------
    You sure about Hawaii? I thought they were going east to west like the Transpac?

PS-just checked: according to this story(post 61) they will leave Los Angeles for Honolulu: http://www.7seas-news.com/l-Hydroptere-DCNS-The-call-of-the-sea_a5100.html That is, unless something has changed....

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Your quite right Doug I meant to write LA they are headed to Hawaii (Honolulu)

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A photo by Sailing Anarchy contributor John of Hydroptere on the hardstand being prepared for her record attempt.

Attached Files:

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

1 person likes this.
  6. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

10. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

:confused:
    Gooday & Thanks Corley - as always. I just can't get my head around how they get - as 'fowler' foil - out the front - on that bow-sprint - to work at 45 kts plus - - I'd have thought that the wind - was pulled way to far forward to be able to get a sail to work - way up forward - at such a speed.

Doug - Gary- Steve - Blunted - Corley - ??? Please ! ! ciao, james

11. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

There maybe quieter winds at night so I'm figuring they'll need all the sail power they can carry for those conditions to maintain a high average speed.
    However, if they choose their time and weather correctly, the bird/fish foiler will fly along with the apparent wind well forward, no offwind sails required. Just guessing their reasoning.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fastest Sailboat on the Planet

===============
    Thanks, Corley! They mention this:
    "The servo-control of the lift surface, a modification introduced with DCNS, could be a major turning point in the improvements to the boat. We’re starting from scratch here so we’re moving forward a step at a time, but the initial results are very encouraging', concludes François Cazala, the boat’s technical manager.The technical team also tested its new onboard desalinator, which is a symbol of the flying trimaran’s transition to offshore racing."

But they don't mention what controls the servo. Is it controlled manually, via an electronic gyro or what?
    --
    And I haven't heard any more about their(supposedly) super sonar/radar that I understood was being developed to be able to spot a small object on or just below the surface in time for them to avoid it.

13. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I'm keen to learn more about that too; since every powered hydrofoil we've been involved with was uncontrollable, or nearly so, without the addition of active flight control and this amazing craft of theirs is operating at even higher speeds than any of our vessels did.

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I''ve often wondered the same it seems a quite conventional rig for the speeds they regularly achieve obviously they have crunched the numbers and have the empirical testing to show it works. I've not seen the boat sail without it's jib and it's standard configuration seems to be main reefed with the jib up under most conditions.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.