Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

You'd think Alain Thebault might becoming a little bored with the plus stupide spread arms pose for the media, but no, same silly smile repeatedly. Merde!

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

when flying on the foils would that not technically be a pure catamaran? nothing attached to the center hull touches the water.

Appears they also went to a wing sail as well. It will be interesting to see what it can do.

They could set records that will stand for a very long time.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    Petros ,did you miss the t-foil rudder? (post #5 folded up and below in red circle)

click on image:

Attached Files:

4. groper

groper Senior Member

Is there a reason the t-foil rudder works better on the center hull of a tri?

Ive often wondered why noone has had more success with a foiling catamaran of a similar concept? Ive seen this one - [​IMG]

But it seems they have stability problems and i have not seen any catamaran foilers showing as much potential as the tri`s... can anyone explain the stability mechanisms of why this may be?

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Check this out-same team as the 59' Hydroptere: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/lhydroptere-ch-35033.html
    ---
    A t-foil rudder, on the main hull, doesn't work that well on a foil assist tri(single ama foil designed to lift up to 70%- more or less- of the boats weight) designed to fly the main hull because there is still an uncontrolled diagonal axis of rotation between the ama foil and rudder t-foil. It works on the Rave, Osprey, Hobie trifoiler and other trimaran foilers with fully submerged foils because the two forward foils control roll(using dual independent altitude control systems-wands or "feelers"- that provide all the RM for the boat) and there is no uncontrolled axis of rotation. It works on surface piercing foilers like Hydroptere, and some others because, generally, they use movable ballast to keep the two forward foils in the water. Hydroptere.ch uses two retractable rudder t-foils- keeping the leeward one in the water.
    On a tri that doesn't fly the main hull a rudder t-foil can add to pitch control.

Hope that helps....

Pictures, L to R : 1) Hydroptere in a precarious position, 2) "Whites Dragon" surface piercing foiler, 3) hydroptere.ch, surface piercing foiler with variable geometry stepped planing hulls-holds several records,4) Osprey trimaran foiler with fully submerged foils and dual, independent altitude control systems(wands)-RM is limited only by the structural strength of the boat.
    click on image-

Attached Files:

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Doug,

you pictured the old hull design the new larger design you posted does not have a center t-foil, but two, one on each outboard hull. It is a tri when in displacement mode, but a catamaran when on foils. Does this mean it would set the record for catamarans?

[​IMG]

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

------------------
    The picture of the boat with the new paint job( posts 44 & 45) is the "old", record holding Hydroptere. The new Hydroptere Maxi, should it be built, now appears to me to be a trimaran-hard to tell though-see pix below. The older rendering you just posted of the maxi(post 51) was ,indeed, a catamaran as is hydroptere.ch.. Should it beat the world record set by Hydroptere it would probably be a record for catamarans as well as a record for all sailboats.
    The "new" maxi is called Libryd and its hard to tell whether it is a cat or a tri. Depends on what they've learned from Hydroptere and hydroptere.ch, I guess.
    ----
    I'm not sure I agree with that-it has a center hull like Hydroptere and from the Libryd picture I can't tell whether the t-foil is on the ama or main hull. The older renderings clearly show a catamaran with a center nacelle like hydroptere.ch. I'd bet that since this is the most recent rendering of the maxi that the rudder is on the main hull. At any rate, the center hull is an actual hull in the new rendering-not just a nacelle. It will be interesting to see what is finally built...

click on image:

Attached Files:

8. Gary Baigent

Doug, looking again at the Libyrd, check what is visible - the slope of the main hull transom just showing above the starboard float stern - it slopes, therefore the main hull has a mild retrouse stern ... and therefore there will not be a transom hung rudder positioned there.
    Now look at the starboard float transom, the rudder is hung there, a balanced rudder with the stock set in normal balanced rudder position close to the transom but with the forward rudder section set beneath the float.
    Lybyrd has two inverted T foil rudders - plus two major main foils set forward in the floats.

9. Gary Baigent

Damn, spelling mistake - Libryd - not Libyrd - I was following your spelling Doug. Wrong.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====
    Thanks! I corrected it......

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Libryd

====================
    Well, I think you're right: appears that the orange of the rudder exteds to what could be the trunk and higher than it would if hung off the main hull.
    It will be interesting to see....

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Collin

Collin Senior Member

That things looks like an 80 mph boat :D

14. Gary Baigent

Interesting to compare the two: Hydroptere DCNS set up for the Pacific record attempt - and RTW Hydroptere Libryd. Check out the different rudder setups.

Attached Files:

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

=============
    Something doesn't quite look right about "Libyrd"-looks too low to the water-not much flying height.
    I think the upcoming Pacific crossing will have a large impact on the future of this project-hope they don't run into tsunami junk and/or break something. A new sponsor may not put up with too many problems. I wish them great success!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.