Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Multihulls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Rep: 481 Posts: 2,273
Doug, it may be a fantasy drawing but that is not like the team to post such a thing. Also it again appears that the main foil is pivoting at the beam/float junction like original H, unlike the big ch. version where the foils pivot at WL. Also, if you look at images of original H sailing; the angled foils do not draw a great depth, that is viewed from abeam. So the new boat drawing of foil depth may be correct. Anyway, we'll find out more soon enough.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1239 Posts: 10,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Do you think in the image that the wing is canted aft and to windward?
-----
Could well be.......
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

For sure, Timothy, the rig will be a canting one - but if this is so in the rendering, then the perspective is wrong and you can't see the slightly angled mast top; it is cut off as if viewed at right angles.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Flight Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Baigent View Post
Doug, it may be a fantasy drawing but that is not like the team to post such a thing. Also it again appears that the main foil is pivoting at the beam/float junction like original H, unlike the big ch. version where the foils pivot at WL. Also, if you look at images of original H sailing; the angled foils do not draw a great depth, that is viewed from abeam. So the new boat drawing of foil depth may be correct. Anyway, we'll find out more soon enough.
==================
Gary, click on the render below and you'll see an approximate flight waterline that I added based on keeping the t-foil foils at least 2 chords below the surface. Note the clearance between the bottom of the main hull and the water, then look at the clearance of the original Hydroptere flying--not even close.....

click on image to see flight waterline:
Attached Thumbnails
Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak-hydroptere-maxi-libryd-copy.jpg  Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak-hydroptere_2_78-1-.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM

That looks okay to me, Doug, Libryd perhaps, is not going to fly as high (proportionately) as original Hydroptere. Also, if I'm seeing correctly, with the T rudder on the float transom and close to in line with the main foil, and both pressed down to leeward, that will be fine. Another point; the rig is high aspect ratio and the main foot measurement only comes to the cabin, so the sail area is not large ... but the big wing is ... big; they could sail Libryd with no soft sail in heavy wind and still fly.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Flight Ready

Hydroptere

I know its hard to tell but I think the T-foil rudder is shown on the main hull-just the way it's drawn?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Rep: 196 Posts: 276
Wild guess. Maybe when heeled its supposed to fly like a moth on only the two deeply emerged lee ward foils the center hull providing longitudinal stability and passive trim control as it contacts the surface.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
epoxy coated

Rep: 737 Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Wild guess. Maybe when heeled its supposed to fly like a moth on only the two deeply emerged lee ward foils the center hull providing longitudinal stability and passive trim control as it contacts the surface.
That seems a reasonable contention. Flying higher means more wave clearance but more issues in a nose dive situation as the boat would be at a greater level of pitch when the main hull touches the water and trims the boat.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Flight Ready

Hydroptere

Quote:
=============================
Banque Populaire uses curved lifting foils and ama buoyancy to allow the main hull to fly "just kissing" the water. The foils are essential to her speed because they support a large percentage of the boats total weight.
Now, I think your suggestion is plausible but not likely because it would not be significantly faster than Banque Populaire V.
My opinion is that the Hydroptere Maxi will be designed to 100% fly in all realistic conditions which would allow her to go faster than a foil assist boat like Banque Populaire. I guess we'll see for sure in the not too distant future...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Flight Ready

Hydroptere

e-mail from Team Hydroptere regarding the site:

Dear Doug,
Thank you for your email and for the deep interest you show on your forum.

As you pointed out, English translations have been lacking since mid-2011, it is a problem we will try to fix as soon as possible as we know that most of our readers don’t speak French.

The project is currently evolving, that is why the official website is directing to Alain Thébault’s website. We can only ask you for some patience, l’Hydroptère will be back soon.
Best regards,
Thomas

L’équipe Hydroptère
Boîte Contact

contact@hydroptere.com

www.hydroptere.com
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 AM

Rep: 120 Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lord View Post
e-mail from Team Hydroptere regarding the site:

Dear Doug,
Thank you for your email and for the deep interest you show on your forum.
Gee dont tell him that he posts enough already without OWNING the forum haha just kidding Doug, love your stuff

DAVE
Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM

Rep: 209 Posts: 221
Great renders Doug - thanks for linking them.

Wish there were a front and side view with all three inline.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Rep: 348 Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lord View Post
=============================
Banque Populaire uses curved lifting foils and ama buoyancy to allow the main hull to fly "just kissing" the water. The foils are essential to her speed because they support a large percentage of the boats total weight.
Now, I think your suggestion is plausible but not likely because it would not be significantly faster than Banque Populaire V.
My opinion is that the Hydroptere Maxi will be designed to 100% fly in all realistic conditions which would allow her to go faster than a foil assist boat like Banque Populaire. I guess we'll see for sure in the not too distant future...
On BPV they like to fly the main hull as described, but their biggest speed penalty came in rough seas when they had to go slow (Ok 30 knots is not really slow, but you know what I mean) to avoid excessive hull slamming loads.

The Hydroptere Maxi does not have to do 100% fly all of the time to be a substantial improvement. Flying high enough and level enough to just slice through wave peaks should allow high speeds in the rough without excessive hull pounding. I am thinking that achieving good attitude stability is more important than ride height. Flying high, but crashing down just before as the next wave gets to the boat would be very not good.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Flight Ready

Hydroptere: the Fastest Sailboat on the Planet

Well, I think I just discovered why the Hydroptere website has been dead(see post # 40) and jumped to Alain Thebaults site: they've had a major change in sponsorship and ,apparently, were close to the edge(my speculation). This is Thebaults site, not the "old" Hydroptere site: http://www.hydroptere.com/ The site is not back up but there is new info on Thebaults site about DCNS and there are these:

Hydroptere Mega-click on image-
Attached Thumbnails
Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak-hydroptere-mega-hd-final04.jpg  Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak-hydroptere-mega-hd-final05.jpg  Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak-hydroptere-mega-hd-final06.jpg  

Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Flight Ready

Hydroptere-Fastest Sailboat on the Planet

Pictures of the new paint job: http://sealaunay.photoshelter.com/ga...001NXc3eVIvAw/