How to sail/buy racing trimarans in cruising modus ?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Skip JayR, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The most spacious performance cruising trimarans I've seen are from the pen of NZ yacht designer Richard Edlin. Ladyhawke was very commodius for her LoA I think a 40' version would be better still. OK not an F40 or racing trimaran per se but certainly a good performer.

http://boatdesigner.co.nz/reviews/bw2001.htm

2. polK

polK New Member

Hi guys,
    the greeny is back on the market , does somebody remember the asking price at the time of the start of this. discussion??
    we had a look structuraly looks strong but really rought finish on a lot of areas...

3. Stefan333

Stefan333 New Member

Hi everybody

@poIK: I have also seen it on market but not checked it out irl yet. You who have seen it. Would you say it is in sailing condition? Is it in the water or on the hard? The broker does not answer.

And a question to everybody who says it is to heavy - How much to much is it. What should the weight actually be?

Cheers
    Stefan

4. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

I have done some race and cruised a 38' catamaran, Ollier designed, built by multiplast / Vannes France.
    It was the first F40 measured and was very successfull in the first F40 races (remember they were first designed for costal event like Fastnet).
    I raced / cruised her (after some modification on the central cabin pod) for 15 years. She was very fast and seaworthy, eassily cruised in mediterranean by two people. She included a king size bed for a couple
    in the central pod with cooking and navigation area, and 1 single bed in each hull. The boat was very confortable at sea and mooring, the only drawback was there was only height for sitting in center pod and hulls !
    She achieved easily 19 kt with full cruising gear for 1 month, including 30 hp 4 strokes Honda outboard on mainpod and 30hp Yamaha 2 strokes outboard on the forward net , 6 crews on board.
    I sold her to two American people in 2005 who sailed her in 2005/2006 from Mediterranean (Port Leucate) to Miamy, including stops to Gibraltar, Canaria Islands,
    and Puerto Rico. I think it may be a good warrant of the seaworthyness of this boat ! Then they carried the boat behind a car on a trailor to Oregon, where the owners lived. For wealth and economical reason the boat has then spent 15 years on his trailor on a yard in Oregon.
    To my knowledge, the boat was sold again circa 2019 and carried on his trailor to Ketchican Alaska ! His new owner has refurbished the central pod but offered the boat for sale again !
    The hulls are E glass epoxy, with airex foam and I have no doubt they are still in excellent condition and only deserves a good paint, the daggerboards and rudders were in very good conditions. Only the mainsail need and genoa should be changed in my opinion. The aluminium beam fixations with hulls were Aeronautical quality and I changed all the SS wires of standing rigging just before selling, including dolphin striker under man beam and all stays. Ollier design was very good, of Jet Service and Commodor Explorer fame.
    For those interested here is the link to the anouncement (10,000$) :

Mailinblack Protect https://mibc-fr-02.mailinblack.com/securelink/?url=https://seattle.craigslist.org&key=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

It would be a pity if this boat who trained great names of French Oceanic race finished abandoned on a yard in Alaska !
    IMG_20220108_0002.jpg

Attached Files:

5. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

The 30 hp yamaha was on a 4 m semi rigid !

6. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Sorry , it looks the boat is no more announced on Craiglist ! Perhaps she has been sold ?
    I would be interested if anyone have news about the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.