Horstman MT26

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rubyjeaan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. rubyjeaan

rubyjeaan Junior Member

Has anyone here built one. Concidering this design. I can't find much info w/ this design. Please help....Michael..

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I like the design and I think there have been some built. The 23/25 is similar. I'd suggest calling or writing to Ed Horstman for the study plans and contact information for any builders. The folding mechanism looks straight forward and far less expensive than some. His boats are usually built either in double diagonal ply or foam glass.

3. rubyjeaan

rubyjeaan Junior Member

Thanks for the reply..Michael..

4. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I just saw this question.

I have the study plans and have corresponded with Mr Horstman about the design. I have not built it.

As far as I know it's the only swing wing tri available for self build. Several manufacturers have made swing wings but no one but Ed Horstman offers plans.

The boat has similar accomodations as similar size farriers and kendricks. It should sail well and if carefully built may be competitive in racing. It would be a fine inshore/near coastal cruiser, the size restricts this not the design. I could not see anything in it that would be prohibitively difficult to build.

What else do you want to know ?

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I would recommend the study plans, I ordered for the 24 and the 27'9' and was surprised at the amount of info, especially several other build options that aren't mentioned on the general site info. Finding other info on the net however has proved difficult, Horstman owners seem to be a secretive lot !

6. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

There is a picture of one somewhere on the web, I have come across from time to time. If memory serves it was listed as a MT28 , maybe scaled up or a misprint. It was a fine looking boat , I dont think it was a home build, if it was someone did a great job. I would second redreubens advice, also call Ed. Once you get a set of plans for a tristar you have to decide all over again which boat you want to build. Rick